Cargo racks: looking for pics and info

Carvblaster

I’m going to purchase a cargo rack...and have been reviewing them for over a month. Leaning toward the Barricade do to price and good review besides the crappy hardware it comes with. I’ll replace the junk hardware with good stuff, just wondering what everyone else has and they’re experience. Going to need it to hold a RTT tent in the future...so if anyone has some good experience and pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Custom Yakima Roof Rack setup on my TJ's hard top, but that would be for cargo only. It would definitely not support the weight of a RTT and people, sorry I don't have a heavy duty rack but it is great for carrying gear up to 75lbs. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/yakima-roof-rack-setup-on-tj-hardtop.7106/

Also whats your budget?...cause things like Garvin and Gobi are top of the line but expensive, Barricade and Smittybilt are certainly more generic and affordable.

I’ve read ever thing on both the Barricade and Smittybuilt ...lower end, but still very strong. Looks like if you change out the junk hardware on the Barricade...you can’t go wrong for the price. $300 is a big diffence to $1100.00 for the upper products. I just wanted to see what others have and they’re experience ....

there is a guy in lake city fla on craigslist. he sells all kinds of jeep parts. i picked up a body armor roof rack brand new in the box for $180 it was somewhere around $500 at quadratecs website

We don’t really have pick n pulls up here in Northern Michigan....just salvage yards that charge 80% the cost of new...and I don’t think there are any Barricade Roof Racks laying around ...thanks for the idea though..
Sure no problem. I was not thinking you would find a Barricade rack specifically but a rack in general that would work. If it is to be mounted on a hardtop any rack that uses through bolts will work. If it is too long many rails just slide into the socket of the endcap making the lenght changeable.

I have the Gobi stealth rack. I've put all kinds of things up there. So far its held up rust free for the 2 years I've had it.
20180303_111516.jpg
20180110_151444.jpg
23755189_10213222146100170_6939148446738965917_n.jpg

I have the Gobi stealth rack. I've put all kinds of things up there. So far its held up rust free for the 2 years I've had it.

Nice looking jeep ! Roof rack with the tent outside looks clean! What type of tent ?
Also for your limb risers it looks like you have a adaptive plate or something in your hood where your latches go. Can you PM me about that set up?

I’m going to purchase a cargo rack...and have been reviewing them for over a month. Leaning toward the Barricade do to price and good review besides the crappy hardware it comes with. I’ll replace the junk hardware with good stuff, just wondering what everyone else has and they’re experience. Going to need it to hold a RTT tent in the future...so if anyone has some good experience and pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

What did you end up getting? I am doing the same thing soon myself. I am leaning toward the SmittyBilt SRC Rack. My goal is also to mount a RTT... also likely a Smittybilt due to budget reasons. The Barricade and SmittyBilt racks look to be functionally the same so if you got the barricade I imagine that the experience would be the same.

What did you end up getting? I am doing the same thing soon myself. I am leaning toward the SmittyBilt SRC Rack. My goal is also to mount a RTT... also likely a Smittybilt due to budget reasons. The Barricade and SmittyBilt racks look to be functionally the same so if you got the barricade I imagine that the experience would be the same.
I have the Garvin Expedition rack and love it. It is a bit pricey but if you could find one used it would be worth it.

Reactions: DominicWilbrink
I modified a Bestop rack to work above the roll bar for camping gear. Works pretty well to leave some room in the back for my dog. I'd like to get a hitch cargo carrier to put my ice chest on though.

View attachment 37780 View attachment 37781 View attachment 37782
Hey, first off your a genius , I have one of those I took off my tailgate and it totally warped it ! I kept it though, how are you securing that to your roll bar ? That’s exactly what I am gonna do with it , solves all my problems of that thing tearing up my rear door ! Thanks so much ! Kurt