Cargo Storage Idea

Grandpajoe94

I'm leaving soon for an off-the-grid 10 day camping/fishing trip and need some space. Has a anyone ever seen/tried using a shelf above the cargo area spanning the area between the wheel wells? It would double the available area

Reactions: Chris
That exact same thought is in my plans :) 1/2 in or better plywood that would be hinged to make easier access to the bottom. Many tie down points to secure the junk on top.

The PO built one for mine, has a one inch lip on front to keep stuff from sliding, I cut down two parts bins for storage underneath, plus it's carpeted. I'll send pictures if I remember tonight.

Heres mine...
DSC_101.jpg

Reactions: CounterEMF
Here's is a link to my cargo basket/shelf that I posted on on other forum:

https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4395

After using it extensively while camping this summer I might make a couple of changes to the mounting system. I used material I had on hand for the version shown in the above link. I'd like make my mounts both lighter and slightly taller.

Okay, I got sidetracked and ran out of time. I cut out a shelf from 7/16" sheathing and covered it with black vinyl. Not worth posting a photo BUT it will meet the immediate need for this trip. Sorry for not getting it done as stated in my earlier post(s).

While I was beating myself up for waiting until the last minute, etc., etc., I did look at the offerings by Smillybuilt and others. Very Jeep oriented but more than my budget. So I also ran across "... truck under bed tool/storage boxes..." and wondered if anyone has bolted/attached one to the floor and let the locked tailgate cover the lock???? Somewhat cheaper - just wondering.

Here's is a link to my cargo basket/shelf that I posted on on other forum:

https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4395

After using it extensively while camping this summer I might make a couple of changes to the mounting system. I used material I had on hand for the version shown in the above link. I'd like make my mounts both lighter and slightly taller.

Jgaz, I went to the link you provided but none of the images were showing up...

My jeep came with a bestop rack that I mount up high to gain room for my dog. I want to come up with a way to beef it up a bit this season though. I load a lot of camping gear up there.

View attachment 14572

View attachment 14573

Come on man, if you're gonna do it, do it Clampett style! Lol! J/k. I went the poor man route and fabbed up a basket and cross bars for topless storage. Then I said screw it and built a trailer.
IMG_4242 - Copy.JPG