Carpets: should I rip 'em out?

Philip

My Jeep is a 2004 Sahara. It came carpeted. This time of year they're almost always wet. My inclination is to remove them and get removable rubber mats instead. Is there a reason this is a bad idea?

TIA

esthetics, additional heat from the drive train, and added noise will be the compromise without the carpet. Lot of jeepers bed line the tub to help with the issues I mentioned. Would it be possible to fix the water leaks?

Fix the leaks, if that is the issue, not just in and out in inclimate weather. I ran bare floor for a short time then installed a full Bed Rug set. Looks and fits great and being damp won't hurt it.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Pull it. Buy 2 rolls of hvac insulation (12"x10' or so) and line the tub with it. Then install a bedrug kit. Awesome

My carpet was in good shape, so no Bedrug, but I did something similar with insulating the tub.

20170115_141033.jpg

If you pull the carpets, replace the carpeting with something else that will insulate as well. Lots of heat and noise comes up through the floor if it is bare.

It's wet now because a nit-wit left the top off on a night were it snowed. I swear it wasn't in the forecast. With all the rain we're having now it's hard to get it dry again.

I have to admit that another reason I'm tempted to de-carpet the Jeep is I've got German Shepherds. With GSDs no matter how much you brush them, you just have to accept that everything you own has dog hair in it or on it. When I psych myself up to clean out my Subaru wagon it takes forever and you never get all the hair or dander. The idea of a vehicle I could cleanup with compressed air appeals.

My choice would definitely be to rip the factory carpet out, insulate the floor with either dynamat or the duct insulation that people have used, and then put in either BedRug or BedTred.

I used the bedtred because its less carpet-y, and love it! It's like bedliner that you can take out anytime you want and put back in. Power-washable, uv resistant, and wipes clean easily also.
Tough stuff!
This pic is from when i had just gotten the back installed (My install job was a bit crappy because of my effed up hands, but it's easy if you have normal hands!)
IMG_20160623_130253.jpg

I run no carpets starting in the spring through the whole summer. Hate stinky carpets when it rains. I use rubber mats and don't really care for the noise especially with no doors and top down. Carpets go back in before winter starts.

My choice would definitely be to rip the factory carpet out, insulate the floor with either dynamat or the duct insulation that people have used, and then put in either BedRug or BedTred.

I used the bedtred because its less carpet-y, and love it! It's like bedliner that you can take out anytime you want and put back in. Power-washable, uv resistant, and wipes clean easily also.
Tough stuff!
This pic is from when i had just gotten the back installed (My install job was a bit crappy because of my effed up hands, but it's easy if you have normal hands!)
View attachment 10569
^^^^ this is a great alternative to bedrug. Benefits: quiet, reduces heat, looks good, easy to clean.

I have my carpets in and I added Husky liners in the foot wells. I highly recommend these. They have a diamond plate pattern and I cut a piece of matching flat rubber sheet for the cargo area floor. I also picked up a second good used foot well carpet for free. I cut most of the original front carpet out. It now goes under the console and down the sides of the transmission tunnel but does not cover the floor. I also cut the second carpet so I now have floor covers for each of the driver and passenger side floors. Each one partially goes over the floor and up the side of the tunnel. The 2 cut sets overlap by about 3" and the seam is covered by the Husky liners. Everything looks original. If the floor carpets do get wet it's easy to pull them out to dry them.

Reactions: Philip
+3 on the BedTred.

I pulled the carpets out of my 2006 LJ and put BedTred down. Our yellow Lab goes into work with me almost everyday. It was impossible to get all the dog hair out of the carpets. After the BedTred installation, a quick drive on the highway with the top off blows 90% of the dog hair out.

Reactions: MikeE024 and RussTJ
I pulled my carpets in my 97 TJ and and then did three real good coats of spray in bed liner, which helped as a noise deaden-er,and then installed nice removable rubber pan style floor mats. I'm in Arizona and my Jeep is constantly dusty, I now pull the mats, pull the floor plugs in the front, and hose it out. It's worked great!