Catalytic Converter Fitment

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I'm going to have the front rear out and transfer case skid off. Since the Jeep has 180K on it, and there's an intermittent O2 code, I'll be replacing all the O2 sensors. Given the mileage, it makes sense to also replace the converters. I'm finding conflicting information on a replacement. This version says it's for 04 to 06, but it looks the same as an '03. I've seen a couple references where it was used on 00 - 03 models. The only difference being the location of the hangar on the downstream cat. Anyone have knowledge or experience using this version on 00 - 03 models?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/2006-...gle_9816039562_98101475017__pla-1146854858329
FWIW, this one is about $350 cheaper than the 00 -03 models. For that much money I'll cut the hanger and weld it back on in the correct location. Since I'll be doing a Savvy skid, it's likely I'm going to have to do that anyway. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have this part (2049170) sitting next to me waiting to go into my Jeep (04 SWB). I haven't installed it yet, but I can at least take pictures of it if that would help.

Reactions: Irun
I have this part (2049170) sitting next to me waiting to go into my Jeep (04 SWB). I haven't installed it yet, but I can at least take pictures of it if that would help.
That would be perfect. If you don't mind, please include a shot of the hanger on the downstream converter, as well as a length measurement!

IMG_0496.JPEG

IMG_0495.JPEG

IMG_0494.JPEG

I'm assuming you meant the length of the hanger. If not, the length of the whole thing is 24".

Rich, this Flowmaster part number (2049170) is the one I installed in my 2000. I believe I ordered from summit and it was drop shipped direct from Flowmaster (or some other fulfilment center). Like you guessed, the hangar is the only part that needed to be modified to fit. Wasn't an issue for me, since I too had to relocate for skid clearance anyways. No codes thrown with these cats and the 2000 specific O2 Sensors specified in the big O2 Sensor Thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Tob and Irun
Rich, this Flowmaster part number (2049170) is the one I installed in my 2000. I believe I ordered from summit and it was drop shipped direct from Flowmaster (or some other fulfilment center). Like you guessed, the hangar is the only part that needed to be modified to fit. Wasn't an issue for me, since I too had to relocate for skid clearance anyways. No codes thrown with these cats and the 2000 specific O2 Sensors specified in the big O2 Sensor Thread
Awesome. That's what I was guessing, so I'll order one this evening! (y)

That flowmaster 2049170 fit my 2002 alright. I had to cut up the back of it for my tummy tuck anyways though. Just be aware, it isn't mandrel bent tubing like the picture, just the cheap crinkle bent stuff.

Also, if your jeep still has the factory cats on it, DO NOT throw them away. People pay good money for them, I sold my original big cat and two mini cats for $200 to a guy off Craigslist. Just search catalytic on CL and there will probably be an ad for some guy that buys them up. So I got my flowmaster stuff for free basically

That flowmaster 2049170 fit my 2002 alright. I had to cut up the back of it for my tummy tuck anyways though. Just be aware, it isn't mandrel bent tubing like the picture, just the cheap crinkle bent stuff.

Also, if your jeep still has the factory cats on it, DO NOT throw them away. People pay good money for them, I sold my original big cat and two mini cats for $200 to a guy off Craigslist. Just search catalytic on CL and there will probably be an ad for some guy that buys them up. So I got my flowmaster stuff for free basically
Who did you order from? I remember seeing those reviews that said it was crinkle bent, but mine is definitely mandrel (or at least looks like the product images). For what it's worth, my order was placed Jul 16, 2020, and correction: It was from Amazon, not Summit.

I read a bunch of reviews saying it was crinkle bent, but mine came mandrel bent. I ordered it recently from 4WP.

IMG_0498.JPEG

Awesome. That's what I was guessing, so I'll order one this evening! (y)
the only other difference i'm noticing is the O2 sensor count. I have at least 4, but i'm only seeing two bungs on the cheaper one.

Who did you order from? I remember seeing those reviews that said it was crinkle bent, but mine is definitely mandrel (or at least looks like the product images). For what it's worth, my order was placed Jul 16, 2020, and correction: It was from Amazon, not Summit.
I ordered July 21st 2020 from autohance.com for $225. Sounds like I got screwed, but I don't really care.

If I could just get the 4 manifold bolts to quit loosening up I'd be happy. Not sure if I have my exhaust mounted too rigidly or if the laser cut flanges on the flowmaster don't provide enough contact area vs the factory stamped steel flanges

To be clear, there are a total of 4 O2 sensor bungs, with three on the long pipe and one on the short pipe. Correct?
Forgive me, is short pipe referencing the manifold above the pre-cats, and long pipe... well, the rest of the exhaust below?

My 2000 is one of the 50 state compliant/CA compliant models, and has the 4 O2 bungs. Two are in the same piece as the exhaust manifold, one above each of the pre-cats. The two downstream sensors are the bungs visible in the image in post #9 (the midpipe factory-welded to the pre-cats). The main, 3rd cat on my Jeep has no O2 sensors, which I think is common for all TJs(?). This picture from Chris of the FSM shows accurately the location of where mine are
1614219488169.png

Picture from this lifesaver of a thread

Reactions: Tob and Irun
Forgive me, is short pipe referencing the manifold above the pre-cats, and long pipe... well, the rest of the exhaust below?

My 2000 is one of the 50 state compliant/CA compliant models, and has the 4 O2 bungs. Two are in the same piece as the exhaust manifold, one above each of the pre-cats. The two downstream sensors are the bungs visible in the image in post #9 (the midpipe factory-welded to the pre-cats). The main, 3rd cat on my Jeep has no O2 sensors, which I think is common for all TJs(?). This picture from Chris of the FSM shows accurately the location of where mine are
View attachment 228993

Brain isn't working correctly...two in the manifold and two in the down pipe. None in the third Cat. o_O

Last edited:

View attachment 228993

I'm assuming that yours was originally all one piece? My 2003 is one piece all the way to the muffler.

Reactions: IrishWake
I'm assuming that yours was originally all one piece? My 2003 is one piece all the way to the muffler.
Yup! It was fun to maneuver in an Arlington-sized garage. I had a shop re-run a new tailpipe since it was contacting my shock and GTS, and had them weld up the two pieces of the aftermarket midpipe while it was on the lift. I'm not a fan of the clamps, although maybe I should've kept at least one somewhere on there, the rear of my muffler got ripped off at Rausch in December. With no flex pipe on the manifold, I feel like I need to be more careful 😬 Muffler is an easy fix, cracked manifold not as much

Yup! It was fun to maneuver in an Arlington-sized garage. I had a shop re-run a new tailpipe since it was contacting my shock and GTS, and had them weld up the two pieces of the aftermarket midpipe while it was on the lift. I'm not a fan of the clamps, although maybe I should've kept at least one somewhere on there, the rear of my muffler got ripped off at Rausch in December. With no flex pipe on the manifold, I feel like I need to be more careful 😬 Muffler is an easy fix, cracked manifold not as much
I've been using band clamps for years. They're more expensive, but allow for easy removal and adjusting.

Reactions: IrishWake
I've been using band clamps for years. They're more expensive, but allow for easy removal and adjusting.
No problems with them? I've been out with a TJ whose offset muffler kept rotating itself down like a clocked transfer case on a mud truck! Not sure what sort of clamps he was using, but he had replaced the stock flange with one that allowed the whole thing to spin. He's the only person I've seen with issues, though. Good clamps would definitely be more convenient than welded, that's for sure

No problems with them? I've been out with a TJ whose offset muffler kept rotating itself down like a clocked transfer case on a mud truck! Not sure what sort of clamps he was using, but he had replaced the stock flange with one that allowed the whole thing to spin. He's the only person I've seen with issues, though. Good clamps would definitely be more convenient than welded, that's for sure
When I redid mine I used marman flanges from GBE Mandrel here in Oregon. Really nice, sealed no problem and can take a little bit of misalignment when using the gaskets they come with

Reactions: IrishWake and Irun