Catalytic Converters (OE Vs Eastern Catalytic Vs MagnaFlow)

AjRagno

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I replaced the cats on my '05 LJ for the 2nd time today so I thought I'd share some photos for comparison.

Eastern Catalytic 20379 49 State Catalytic Converter
MagnaFlow HM Grade Federal/EPA Compliant Direct-Fit Catalytic Converter 93649

My experience with Eastern Catalytic was not good. About a year after installing, I found that the hanger at the 3rd cat had ripped open the tubing. When I inquired about a warranty claim through Rock Auto, they required that I purchase a new system at current cost and then ship back the old system to see if it qualified for a warranty replacement. Rather than buy the same junk again, I went with MagnaFlow. Though 2X the cost of Eastern, the MagnaFlow cats are very nice and similar in design to the OE system.

With the MagnaFlow cats, the 2 pieces join in front of the oil pan, making for an easy install. I also have the MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust that they make for Quadratec and everything lined up perfectly.

View attachment 246442
View attachment 246444
View attachment 246446
View attachment 246447
View attachment 246449
View attachment 246451
View attachment 246452

Reactions: TJ Starting
Give it a little time. I had the same thing happen 6 weeks after I installed my Magnaflow cat.
They wouldn't warranty it either. I made a patch and rewelded it.

I was looking my exhaust over last weekend and they are still doing fine.

Awesome! I installed the Magnaflow cats today as one of my stock cats was all done. Fitment was perfect and I have a Banks muffler which perfectly mated to the MF pipe. I was concerned with MFs flanges, relative to the stock cat flanges, they are upside down, but fitment was perfect. Taken from your pic above.

Screenshot_20220425-210845.jpg

I think the strategy for some companies is to offer a broad warranty, then make it so difficult to complete a warranty claim that most people just throw their hands up- Then they can say that they have a great warranty but never have to do anything to prove it -They think they’re smart but just like one of the post above someone just decided to go with a better known brand.

Honestly that strategy is bull- We live in an age where a digital picture can be sent in seconds- and one of the best things a company can do to get market share is to take risk out of the transaction

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't purchased any parts from Rock Auto since. By comparison, I had a Vornado heater fail after a few months. I filed a warranty claim on their website and they followed up with instructions to cut the cord and upload a photo showing the decal and the cut cord. Within a few hours I had a tracking number, then a replacement unit arrived 3 days after. I ordered a fan for my bedroom from Vornado yesterday. Though it was more expensive than any fan I've purchased previously, it also comes with a 5 year warranty that I feel comfortable with.

Looking for some help with my magnaflow converters.

My issues are:

• The 2 to 1 connection causes a 45 degree bend where the stock is a 90 degree. The 45 degree contacts the oil pan and will not allow the converters to line with the exhaust manifold.

• The 3rd converter contacts the floor pan and transfer case.

this is the Magnaflow direct fit converters. P/N 93649

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd start new post.

Do you have motor mount lifts? Stock or aftermarket skid plate?

On my 97 I didn't like what was out there so I made my own. Used a Magnaflow cat and some 2.5 stainless pipe. Much simpler on a 97.

-Mac

I have the set of three Magnaflow cats. Used them for about 2 years with no issues whatsoever.

I do have the version for vehicles with California emissions outside of California, which has more platinum than the HM (heavy metal) versions. Seems to work fine and cause no codes. The CA emissions ones generally are more effective at reducing NOx, VOCs, and CO than the heavy metal ones. No difference in performance or reliability between the two.

You can put the ones for CA emissions vehicles in Federal EPA vehicles, but not vice versa.