Catback Exhaust Systems

Tristar_tj

Let's talk about catback exhaust systems...I recently bought and installed the Magnaflow performance exhaust system (model 17122) and the drone is obnoxious to say the least! I've attached a pic of the system I have as well as a pic installed on my TJ. It's got drone just at idle, but not too bad taking off but once you hit a high gear and rpm drop around 1500 it'll drive ya crazy! Fast forward, I am ready to either ditch the system and go with the MBRP system with tailpipe or have my local muffler shop run a tailpipe system on this Magnaflow exhaust. My worry is, if I spend the additional money on the tailpipe and it doesn't correct the drone issue then I'm out that money and back to square one.

With all that said, what do you recommend for systems? What would you do? Do you think a tailpipe system would eliminate most of the drone?

TIA 🙌🙌

20200920_170158.jpg

20210417_185909.jpg

Screenshot_20210501-220953_Chrome.jpg

20200821_174556.jpg

You bought a straight through muffler that's marketed by Magnaflow as right in the middle of "aggressive" and "very aggressive", so I bet if you replaced it with a quieter unit it'll knock that drone out. Before doing that, make sure you don't have any leaks from those clamp fittings.

It's a nice looking muffler, but that's about it. You won't gain any performance.

looks like that its missing the "back". my cat back sys went all the way to the ass end with a proper tail pipe.
you got a 40$ muffler and a 15$ turn down for over 400..............yikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: D M and Tristar_tj
Are you doing this because you want it to sound louder? Or for more power? Or because your old one rusted out?

Still got the stock one that you replaced? That would be my recommendation. Or walker quiet flow fits good and no droning.

Reactions: Tristar_tj and Irun
Reactions: Tristar_tj
looks like that its missing the "back". my cat back sys went all the way to the ass end with a proper tail pipe.
you got a 40$ muffler and a 15$ turn down for over 400..............yikes.
I actually bought it off a friend for a fraction of retail but yes it was new and no tailpipe assembly

Are you doing this because you want it to sound louder? Or for more power? Or because your old one rusted out?

Still got the stock one that you replaced? That would be my recommendation. Or walker quiet flow fits good and no droning.
I wanted some more sound but nothing crazy and definitely not all this drone! The stock unit is gone... I now have to add a tailpipe to this one or ditch it for another brand/style with a tail included. Just not sure which brand to go with to get a nice rumble.

You bought a straight through muffler that's marketed by Magnaflow as right in the middle of "aggressive" and "very aggressive", so I bet if you replaced it with a quieter unit it'll knock that drone out. Before doing that, make sure you don't have any leaks from those clamp fittings.

It's a nice looking muffler, but that's about it. You won't gain any performance.
I researched before I bought it from my friend that was still new in the box and never read it to be aggressive or very aggressive... 🤦‍♂️

mine was a Banks sys. and it's got a tone too. not enough to drive me nuts but it is right up to that line.

we are 2 cylinders short of the tone we want.
rather than an expensive kit get the muffler you want and have it piped back at the local muffler shop. they can get all the bends just right. the Banks sys was ok when i was still all mostly stock parts but as soon as i made changes i had to also go to the turn down end which i will not put back, and now has to be customized.

mine was a Banks sys. and it's got a tone too. not enough to drive me nuts but it is right up to that line.

we are 2 cylinders short of the tone we want.
rather than an expensive kit get the muffler you want and have it piped back at the local muffler shop. they can get all the bends just right. the Banks sys was ok when i was still all mostly stock parts but as soon as i made changes i had to also go to the turn down end which i will not put back, and now has to be customized.
Yea, I don't need the turn down setup because I rarely offroad it, but I do like the no tailpipe look. At this point with all this drone bum ready to have a tailpipe system if that's what'll stop it. 😂

1619959114594.png

The Magnapack muffler used in this series is known for being pretty aggressive. I believe the muffler is the same on the Pro series and the Competition series. A tailpipe will help a little bit, but even still, they list the interior sound as moderate on the Competition series with a tailpipe.

If you are only in it for a fraction of retail I'd try a tailpipe first. It might make it easier to sell to someone else down the road.

I've heard nothing but good about the Walker stainless setup. But to be honest, every Walker exhaust I've ever used (all aluminized steel) were total shit. Rusting out in less than a year. They were not on TJs. And were the only aftermarket exhausts available for some of the other vehicles I have owned.