CB antenna mount

All finished up. Tuned to 1.3-1.4, had to leave the red cap off because it wouldn't tune lower than about 3.5 with it on.
0J-Rnn6PiyXfptVVqh5JGNB36EfJC4b4_Qhe7I4dXmCbnXzm7eETH2-6fcF89LnfS1aVOdlcKQoVu383iw=w1133-h637-no.jpg

EB051sHWBhnC5LcfcbnGCPyeqgbYJg26BW5kbMAjtDr7jyZtfoZvSdnMoZZSmEQ5dFLT0-F3tgjaaxx5AOA=w359-h637-no.jpg

Reactions: StG58 and Serbonze
Does anyone make a 2" antenna spring? The 3" is a hair too tall and would just drive me crazy going in and out of the garage.

Looks good and tuned right up. Nice.

That's a big jump in SWR just by putting the red cap on. I wonder why?
Not sure. Jerry said there would be a small change with it on but it was a huge change on mine. Luckily the cap is not absolutely needed so I will just leave it off. Did yours change much with cap on vs off?

Not sure. Jerry said there would be a small change with it on but it was a huge change on mine. Luckily the cap is not absolutely needed so I will just leave it off. Did yours change much with cap on vs off?
No, that's what has me curious. I've got the 3' Firestik, and it only changed from 1.3-1.4 to 1.5-1.6 when I put the red cap on. I had to screw the tuner all the way in to get it tuned. I have a funky home made RF ground strap too. Curious.

No, that's what has me curious. I've got the 3' Firestik, and it only changed from 1.3-1.4 to 1.5-1.6 when I put the red cap on. I had to screw the tuner all the way in to get it tuned. I have a funky home made RF ground strap too. Curious.
Interesting. Mine would go from 1.3 to well over 3, which is in the red area of the meter. With the screw nearly falling out it would just get into the red with the cap on. I even tried the cap pushed all the way down, part way down, barely hanging on, nothing helped. Seems odd that a rubber cap with detract from the signal that much but it did. Not worried though.

did you run the wire behind the tail light housing? i just ordered the same mount

Yes. When you mount the Teraflex mount it adds just enough gap for the cable to fit at the bottom of the light. If you purchased the drivers side mount you can then run the cable up through the hardtop wiring grommet to get it in to the cab.

I chose the simplest and most direct path for my coax by running it through the gap between rear glass and hardtop and then along existing wires on driver's side and tucked under carpet on passenger side. No leaks, no dust, and easily removed later if necessary. Works with soft tops too.

Ham Radio Antenna Mount 07 04 19.jpg
CB Antenna Mount Close Up #2  07 04 19.jpg

Does anyone make a 2" antenna spring? The 3" is a hair too tall and would just drive me crazy going in and out of the garage.
Having the antenna well above the Jeep's roofline will help with getting better reception. To prevent my antenna from hitting the garage door and waving wildly around in the wind on the freeway I secure it. A 1/2" nylon web strap with a buckle is a simple way to lay it down along the rollbar when the top is off. A large 3M Command type hook can be used to secure it across the rear window when the hard top is on. Hone the hook out to the right diameter, paint it black, and use exterior grade double sided tape to stick it on at approximately 45 degree angle. No clue what to do with a soft top.
20200610_104158.jpg

20200610_103532.jpg

A chunk of rubber fuel hose on the antenna will prevent it from abrading on armor, tire carriers, etc. I'll be raising my antenna another foot or so in the next few days to help with reception.

Last edited:
Reactions: CodaMan