CB Help

BlakeDevs

04 TJ RME
Supporting Member
So I’m looking for a possible tail light mount for my cb antenna and I’m wondering what would be the best option. Anyone have experience mounting there?

I use this one —> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006D9W22G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

IMG_20171128_093331415.jpg

@BlakeDevs I just installed the Exogate today and had to remove the tail light CB antenna bracket for it to fit. If you want the passenger side mount, it’s yours for shipping cost. I don’t know if it’s the Teraflex, but it is a thick piece of metal.

Shoot me a PM with your address if you want it!

One thing about powder coated antenna mounting brackets like that is you have to grind the powder coating off in a couple areas for the antenna to work well and be able to tune up to a good low SWR. Otherwise the antenna mount can't get an adequate RF ground which is required.

I ground off the powder coating were the attachment bolt goes through to the tub as well as where the antenna mounts to the bracket.

I will be installing one of these soon and I was wondering how you get the cable to the bracket? I know there is a hold behind the taillight, but do you drill a hole in the bottom of the taillight to pull it through to the bracket?

I will be installing one of these soon and I was wondering how you get the cable to the bracket? I know there is a hold behind the taillight, but do you drill a hole in the bottom of the taillight to pull it through to the bracket?

I used the existing hole for the 3rd break light. Ran the coaxial cable through and up to my 3rd breaklight bracket. Oh. Yea I have mine mounted on my spare braket

I am SUPER old school, but figured I would chime in with my very old information. The reason I am chiming in is to get up to speed a bit. Back in my day the K40 was a great antenna and the most popular was a magnetic mount. Why can't you throw this on your back bumper?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/K40-K-30...93696&wl11=online&wl12=41479895&wl13=&veh=sem

Top dog is still duel whips. Believe it or not, that was top dog 30 years ago!!! Damn! Here is an article.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/selection-guides/18542007-choosing-the-best-cb-antenna

Last edited:
Dual whip antennas need more distance between them than a Wrangler can provide. They're popular on big semi-truck rigs because they're wide enough to make them work. Another drawback to that type antenna is they are very directional forward and backward which means they don't work well in all directions.

Reactions: derekmac
What about those who put their antenna on the drivers side? Do you drill a hole in the light housing?

What about those who put their antenna on the drivers side? Do you drill a hole in the light housing?

The only hole I drilled was for the top bracket mounting hole. That's also the one I used as the ground. For the cable, I was able to run it through the same hole the light wiring goes through and under the light housing.

IMG_20180304_201511258_crop_590x590.jpg

Reactions: JeepNWilly
Just mounted a TeraFlex bracket to passenger side yesterday. The thickness of the mount almost allowed me to slip the cable through the body under light. Small grind in tail lamp edge (plastic) with Drexel and chain saw sharpening stone allowed coax with wire loom guard to slip thru easily. Loosened back fuel tank bolts & fishtaped coax to drivers side and then int cab. then I followed existing wiring to under dash. Mounting head unit today.

Reactions: JMT
Be careful with this mount and low-hanging tree branches. I've had an antenna sheared off by a branch as it swiped the side of my TJ and flung back to its obstructive state after clearing my roll bars.

If you're only planning to communicate with nearby rigs in your group, get a shorter antenna than usual. You'll save yourself the pain in your wallet when you realize your antenna is somewhere on the trail behind you.

Sounds good. Have a photo? I sometimes run the hard top but mostly soft top and wonder if this set up would work with both?
I used to run this bracket and routed the coax between the plastic tab of thr soft top that hooks in around the corner and the short but that you undo to pull the tailgate bar from the back window. I put a short section of split loom to avoid any rubbing, been that way for 6 years now.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.