CB Radio Help

john arata

I bought a uniden 510pro xl used.
Im not sure i will ever do trails ,but most clubs require a cb.I want to plug it into my cig plug.
So what do i need to be able to plug it in to cig plug.?
As for antenna can i just get a magnetic one because i will hardly ever use it or do you suggest something else
Thanks ahead of time

Powering any 2-way radio like a ham or CB radio from a cig plug is never a good idea. It might 'work' but you're more likely to receive and transmit noise generated from the fuel pump, alternator, etc. Basic Radio Installation 101 technique says such radios should always be powered directly from the battery to insure you're not picking up or transmitting noise (static, whine, etc.). There's a very convenient source of that power located at the very rear of the Power Distribution Center that sits in front of the battery. There's a small snap-off cover at the rear that covers the +12 lug that powers the PDC, it connect directly to the battery. Remove that nut and connect your CB's power wire to it, after crimping a solderless ring connector onto it.

A Uniden Pro510 is usually always permanently mounted, I wouldn't shortcut the wiring for the power for that radio. The only CB I would consider connecting to a cig lighter is a handheld 'walky-talky' type CB and those don't work all that well no matter how they're powered.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I mostly agrees with Jerry on this one, but you obviously aren't going to be using it much. Just make sure the cigarette lighter adapter you get is rated enough for the CB. That and a magnetic antenna will work fine for what you will be using it for. It won't be the best quality though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
I've ran my CB through the cig lighter for years, and never had anyone complain of me transmitting noise. Also don't receive any noise either. My CB is also an old school 23 channel that's older than me (I'm 33).

I do agree though, they should be run directly to the battery, or the PDC as Jerry mentions.

I've ran my CB through the cig lighter for years, and never had anyone complain of me transmitting noise. Also don't receive any noise either. My CB is also an old school 23 channel that's older than me (I'm 33).

I do agree though, they should be run directly to the battery, or the PDC as Jerry mentions.

I run my CB through the lighter only when traveling in my wife's car & I haven't gotten much background noise. I think it will do for trails.

I have the CB in my jeep directly to the battery, but I use that daily.

I ran power from the PDC as Jerry recommended, and put in two high quality two prong bullet connectors to disconnect power and ground as needed. It's not perfect, but it is better than running off the power plug IMHO. Clean power and clean electrical ground. A bullet connector and appropriate wire is probably about the same cost as a power plug.

I have been using a 12v plug on the same CB radio for ten years. You can find a number of them at just about any truck stop.

an as having trucker blood in me, watch out for scratching paint with a magnetic antenna, smashing the cord in the door or window, hanging around everywhere in the cab, getting broke tossing it in an out of the jeep. gettin angry when the cord keeps poppin out of the cig lighter socket, an blowing fuses........an dont put the magnetic antenna on the floor an forget about it, an then one day, walk in to reach down for something an the little ball on the end of the antenna fell off an the end of the antenna goes into your mouth, thru the top of your mouth, so you have to get a mri, to make sure it didnt puncture your brain:) as cheap as they are, get a cb mount, on the back, looks cooler, longer range. go cb antenna big, connected to battery, or go home:)

Make it mounted, lots of places to put the radio if you get creative. It will work better and your radio will last longer as it's not being bounced around when in use. If you still want to go mag mount on the hood it won't work well by the windshield. The frame reflects the signal and kills your transmissions. Instead if you want people to hear, you have to go full unicorn and put it at the front center of the hood. Looks lame but works well.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

An if for some reason you go with the magnetic, store if off the ground, were no animal, children, or others, get stuck by it, if it falls over, or you reach down to pick something up, an get stuck by it. plus, if you got anybody around you that gets angry, it can turn into a weapon, they will pick it up an start beating you with it or playing stab the enemy with it. kids start fighting with it, losin an eye.. they are dangerous to be laying around. the thought of having an antenna go thru the roof of your mouth, not knowing if it punctured your brain an if all the airs gonna come out, an you end up with flat pancake brain....ridin in the back of the jeep with your buddys.......or not.....terrible man. learn from my mistake:)