CB static questions

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just installed my first cb to my jeep and am having a lot of static making it fairly difficult to hear people. I use the uniden 520 xl using th ANL mode as well as, (what I believe is) proper use of the rf gain and squelch. I have the teraflex mount but my swr was down to around 1.3 so I believe there isn't a ground issue. Could it be the way I have routed my coax and/or power lines? I am completely a beginner with cb’s and am only just now understanding some of the basics.

I just installed my first cb to my jeep and am having a lot of static making it fairly difficult to hear people. I use the uniden 520 xl using th ANL mode as well as, (what I believe is) proper use of the rf gain and squelch. I have the teraflex mount but my swr was down to around 1.3 so I believe there isn't a ground issue. Could it be the way I have routed my coax and/or power lines? I am completely a beginner with cb’s and am only just now understanding some of the basics.
The coax and power lines for cb do cross each other once or maybe twice. I remember reading somewhere you should keep power and coax as far from each other as you can. I routed the coax along my rear wiring harness and my cb is mounted under my ashtray.

Are you getting the power and ground for the CB straight off the battery?
Power from the pdc power stud Jerry has recommended and ground from a passenger footwell ground. Would straight to the batter for the ground possibly improve things?

In my TJ I ran power to CB from a fuse tap behind the glove box and ground to the nearest place I could find which was near the dash speaker on the passenger side. It worked fine. Later, I heard the "proper" way was directly to the battery for both power and ground. Did that when I moved the CB to the LJ and I cannot tell the difference.

Reactions: Blondie70
Static/noise all the time, or only when the engine is running?
Might be coming from something else you have plugged in or turned on.

Reactions: Zorba
If you have a GOOD ground, local to the radio is better than running an antenna all the way back to battery negative. With that said, what @LONGJP2 said: Is it engine noise or other?

If you have a GOOD ground, local to the radio is better than running an antenna all the way back to battery negative. With that said, what @LONGJP2 said: Is it engine noise or other?
I would need to re check for sure but I am pretty sure it had close to the same amount of static on or off. I plan to reroute my coax a little bit tomorrow. I have it going a little all over in my dash to use the rest of my line but I read a figure 8 style loop or oval should work just fine. Just so long as it is not a circle?

The distance is also not very different. I drilled a hole in my firewall where the SPODs installation had their customers drill. The ground I am using was just hoping on to the ground in the passenger footwell closest to the outside not sure which ground that is though.

I would need to re check for sure but I am pretty sure it had close to the same amount of static on or off. I plan to reroute my coax a little bit tomorrow. I have it going a little all over in my dash to use the rest of my line but I read a figure 8 style loop or oval should work just fine. Just so long as it is not a circle?
First off, shorten the coax to the length you need - that "multiple of wavelength" for coax length is bullshit. With that said, if you're getting the RFI with the Jeep off, its probably not your installation. Drive it "elsewhere" and see if it changes or goes away.