CCV valve

Forty

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
I pulled my pcv and ccv valve from the off my valve cover today. I've been leaking a lot of oil so I'm starting simplest first. I noticed one is just an opening where as the other has a smaller hole inside (ccv). My friend keeps trying to tell me there's a check ball in there to regulate air flow but nothing I see proves it so. Anyone care to educate me?? I've attached a pic. It's nasty but you'll get the idea.

Looks like water is in there
Yeah it's just in the valves. When I check my oil it looks ok, not milky like this. I am leaking some serious oil and trying to get to the bottom of it.

Reactions: Ted
That's definitely dirty! I don't know much about CCV valves, but where are you leaking all the oil from?

That's definitely dirty! I don't know much about CCV valves, but where are you leaking all the oil from?
Trying to figure it out. I had my oil pan replaced and I thought it was coming from there but others are trying to convince me it the CCV or PVC valves. The only other spots I'm seeing oil aside from the front of the pan which is where it's worst (all over my track bar, front dif, and blow back on the pan itself) is near those valves and where the cam shaft position sensor goes into the block in front of the oil filter.

Well, the way I would test it out would be to clean up all the oil you can, start the engine (with the hood popped) and let it idle for a long time. If it's leaking as bad as you say, it should be pretty obvious where it's coming from I would think.

Though it could be leaking from multiple spots at once.

As for that CCV valve, those things are so cheap that it probably makes sense to replace it just because.

Reactions: Forty
Well, the way I would test it out would be to clean up all the oil you can, start the engine (with the hood popped) and let it idle for a long time. If it's leaking as bad as you say, it should be pretty obvious where it's coming from I would think.

Though it could be leaking from multiple spots at once.

As for that CCV valve, those things are so cheap that it probably makes sense to replace it just because.
They are super cheap so I'm going to. My only concern with cleaning the engine good is that the leak is so bad I don't want to get any water in a very susceptible area. I'll get itinerant way or another. Do you know if there's a check ball or spring in that valve?

I don't know if there's a check ball or not unfortunately. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of these valves will chime in shortly (or after they recover from their Super Bowl hangover).

My thought was you may be able to avoid water altogether. Just use some simple green on some shop rags. That would do the trick.

Reactions: Forty
I don't know if there's a check ball or not unfortunately. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of these valves will chime in shortly (or after they recover from their Super Bowl hangover).

My thought was you may be able to avoid water altogether. Just use some simple green on some shop rags. That would do the trick.
Yeah you are right I need to do it. Thanks man.

Reactions: Chris