How to replace the center console lock on a 1997-2004 TJ

jeepins

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Mopar Part No. 4741954. New housing with latch. Use your old cylinder.

You can see the locking latch broken off of my old one.
1572817886553.png

1572817915667.png

1572817961081.png

1572817996004.png

1572818033523.png

1572818068383.png

This was super helpful. My locking mechanism was stuck/had come loose in my center console, thought it was broken.

Took it apart following your advice and found that it wasn't broken, but had at some point become misaligned (locking barrel was 180 degrees clockwise). Took the barrel out and dismantled the plastic mechanism, found that the plastic rotating barrel was all scratched which was causing it to catch and not rotate properly. So, sanded it down with 1200 and put a bit of silicone lube in it, reassembled in the correct orientation and lo' and behold it functioned perfectly.

I was about to buy a replacement lock but this guide saved me the trouble. Cheers dude.

Reactions: jeepins
Do you know if all TJs had a locking centre console lid. From the time I bought mine the release for the centre console lid was has been without its centre, I always assumed it was just a button and part had broken off. But maybe the ceylinder to the lockjng mechanism was removed. If that is the case is it possible to get a new cylinder or is there another way to at least make it look like nothing is missing?

This was so helpful. The pics are great - thank you jeepins. I now have a locked center console!

Reactions: jeepins
Do you know if you can order it with the cylinder? And can that be rekeyed. Mine is totally out (empty hole where it goes) and looking to replace it so I can lock it.

My key wont even turn in it, seems like maybe wrong key> Or something is jammed in there and they key wont go in far enough ....?

EDIT: Got in there with a paper clip and cleaned out a bunch of lint and dirt, works now!

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Do you know if you can order it with the cylinder? And can that be rekeyed. Mine is totally out (empty hole where it goes) and looking to replace it so I can lock it.
I found a black rubber plug at Home Depot that fit the hole on mine perfectly. No need to lock it.

EDIT: got it! The thing I seemed to be missing was perseverance.

Hi, when I insert a strong paper clip into the small hole, nothing seems to happen and the cylinder won’t rotate any further than the open/close positions. Is there something I’m missing?

Last edited:
Sorry haven't been on here in awhile. Mine was literally as straightforward as the pics I took. I didn't have any issues pulling the old one apart and installing the new one. As far as the screw, it wouldn't have a part number. I reused the original screw so if you don't have one then you'd have to match it or find one in a salvage yard. I'll see if I can get a size based on mine when I get mine back from the shop (new freeze plugs).