Center Console Question

Fonz54

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thinking about making my own center console. Was taking some measurements and the clearance between the parking brake boot and the passenger seat is tighter than a crabs ass. When the OEM console is used or the Tuffy console do you have to remove the parking brake boot?

Thinking about making my own center console. Was taking some measurements and the clearance between the parking brake boot and the passenger seat is tighter than a crabs ass. When the OEM console is used or the Tuffy console do you have to remove the parking brake boot?

There is no boot on TJ's that came with a factory console , just plastic brushes where the lever protrudes from the console.

I just made my own. Cost about $40.00 with the usb charger. Took me the whole weekend, but was fun. Search YouTube for make your own center console. That’s all I did.

041387C9-1255-4A2B-9328-20C0DEB1D705.jpeg

Wow that is home made? Very nice job! Would you mind sharing the link if you found the plans on the interweb?
Lou

I basically just went on YouTube and searched “make a center console” I watched several videos. I used a little of each one. The most important was to make a template out of cardboard first so I could make sure the size was just right. Also using contact cement to upholster came out the best. Here is the link I found most helpful:

there are two parts to this video. It was not that difficult at all.
I was going to buy an after market, but the reviews were mixed, and making my own is more the Jeep way lol. Will post a pic before installation

083D08A1-30FA-49B0-816C-296027ACD44C.jpeg

Reactions: Fonz54 and P man
Awesome job!!! What I hate about the console in my jeep is its so tight against the seats and creaks and cracks all the time so having the ability to choose the width would fix that.

I basically just went on YouTube and searched “make a center console” I watched several videos. I used a little of each one. The most important was to make a template out of cardboard first so I could make sure the size was just right. Also using contact cement to upholster came out the best. Here is the link I found most helpful:

there are two parts to this video. It was not that difficult at all.
I was going to buy an after market, but the reviews were mixed, and making my own is more the Jeep way lol. Will post a pic before installation

View attachment 250866
That looks awesome can't wait to see it in your TJ.

Looks great! I started taking some measurements this morning. Jeez Louise the price of plywood is outrageous. Nothing is too expensive my girl....the TJ I mean! :ROFLMAO: