California Central Valley Jeeps?

Fresno here. You are right. Lots of NorCal and SoCal, but Central Valley seems to be pretty thin.

Found some snow to play in yesterday.

20191215_154023.jpg

Reactions: Dan_man and Chris
I wish I would have found this thread sooner because the snow has been calling my name! I live in Springville and in the year that I’ve had my Jeep I haven’t found anyone to go wheeling with.

Nice picture man, all that snow looks super fun! What do you usually pack when you head up for some snow wheeling?

All my usual recovery gear. Winch, couple soft shackles, tree strap, snatch rope, shovel, compressor, tool bag, etc. I only really add in snow boots and chains in case it's icy or I have to spend some time in the snow digging out or walking. Bring plenty of food and drink, you never know when the mountain restaurants are going to be closed.

I aired down to 8psi and used my front locker in the deep stuff. I've found in snow that momentum is key. One jeep in our group got stuck in a deep spot and dug in a little bit. We pulled them backwards with my buddies winch to get them freed up and they made it the rest of the way with open diffs and aired down tires. Once they got a little experience they made good progress. The main reason they got stuck is as the leader I stopped in a deep area of snow so everyone could get a look at what was ahead. Coming around the last bend on the road the snow probably doubled in depth. I'm not sure if they didn't have enough momentum coming up into the deep snow or if they got stuck when they tried to move again after we stopped.

As soon as you stop making forward progress in snow stop and try and reverse. If you dig too deep without backing up you'll end up with snow packed in front and back of your tires and on snow that's basically turned to ice. Once you back up a bit get a run at the snow and hit it again with more enthusiasm.

Having never actually driven in snow myself that’s good to know. It also sounds like I would have been a little unprepared so I think I need to add a few more things to my list of Jeep gear 😂

That's what's nice about going in a group. We're all up there to help each other out. None of us used chains but a few of us had them. There were at least a couple shovels in the group. We had 2 winches (the other two rigs have winches at home waiting to be installed).

Main thing is having front and rear recovery points that way you can be pulled or pull in either direction. An air compressor is the next big one. We only had two and my buddies got a leak in the hose so my little air compressor aired up 3 vehicles. It took a lot longer than it could have but it wasn't bad, we just stood around and BS'd while the tires aired back up.