Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Okay, @jjvw posted this in another thread:

Does anyone here actually have these on their Jeep? I'm assuming they mount behind the wheel on the brake rotor / hub assembly, then you put the wheel on over them?

Do these keep you from ever having to have your wheels / tires balanced again?

Seems like a genius idea...

Me! I do!

They do exactly what they say they do. I still bring the Jeep into Discount Tire to get the wheels balanced, but the Centramatics do a good job of compensating for a lost weight, a missing chunk of tread, or a hunk of snow/mud stuck in the wheel.

A smoothly spinning tire will help prolong the life of the entire steering and suspension system.

Me! I do!

They do exactly what they say they do. I still bring the Jeep into Discount Tire to get the wheels balanced, but the Centramatics do a good job of compensating for a lost weight, a missing chunk of tread, or a hunk of snow/mud stuck in the wheel.

A smoothly spinning tire will help prolong the life of the entire steering and suspension system.
So what does a Jeep version look like, and where does it mount?

But theoretically, you wouldn't even need to have the wheels balanced at all, right? Of course I understand why you would still do it.

Seems like this is a great idea, especially given how our Jeeps and oversize tires can be the cause of so many unwanted vibrations due to wheel balance issues.

Do they mount behind the wheel so you can't see them?

So what does a Jeep version look like, and where does it mount?
Sandwiched between the rotor/drum and the wheel. The Jeep version has a 4.5x5" bolt pattern. I bought my set used a few years ago. They came off of an XJ.

Last edited:
I have them also. I also balanced my tires with weights in addition to the centramatics. My offroading is mostly mud during hunting season and the mud stays on the inside of the rim and causes vibration. The Centramatics make this a non-issue. Also pressure washing occasionally blows off the weights, helps here too.

But theoretically, you wouldn't even need to have the wheels balanced at all, right? Of course I understand why you would still do it.

Seems like this is a great idea, especially given how our Jeeps and oversize tires can be the cause of so many unwanted vibrations due to wheel balance issues.

As long as the unbalance doesn't exceed the abilities of the CM, weights shouldn't be necessary. It's the same idea as Dynabeads.

Mine fill the windows in the Moab wheel. I can't see the rotors and calipers anymore.

Reactions: psrivats
As long as the unbalance doesn't exceed the abilities of the CM, weights shouldn't be necessary. It's the same idea as Dynabeads.

Mine fill the windows in the Moab wheel. I can't see the rotors and calipers anymore.

Post a photo sometime if you get a chance. I'll have to see how much a set of these runs. Seems like a really cool idea to say the least.

Reactions: psrivats and jjvw

Yes they mount behind the wheels. I can see mine through the holes in the rims. Yes theoretically no balancing is required.

Reactions: jjvw and Chris
One thing to be aware of is that you will hear a light sandy washing sound at slow speeds as the balancing media slides through the balancer. Mine get quiet at about 13-14mph when there is enough centrifugal force to make them start working. I notice it most at the McDonald's drive thru window.

One thing to be aware of is that you will hear a light sandy washing sound at slow speeds as the balancing media slides through the balancer. Mine get quiet at about 13-14mph when there is enough centrifugal force to make them start working. I notice it most at the McDonald's drive thru window.

I was thinking there would be some noise from them. Makes perfect sense!

This is the only pic I have at the moment. One of the discs is sitting on the tire.

I was diagnosing an electrical problem. Don't laugh! This was a difficult night. :)
cea2ed924efe5194121072af794870ac.jpg

Hey, that must have been a hell of an electrical problem!
The engine would shut off in that particular position on the trails. I recreated it at the shop with a forklift and pallet jack. I called it the "kill position". As best as I could tell, it was a loose plug on an o2 sensor. This is how I figured it out...

Last edited:
Reactions: Stox5225 and Chris