Certain AGM batteries not being made during COVID-19

Pcleaners2

TJ Enthusiast
Looks like duralast and die hard gold are not currently being made bc of covid19
Is odyssey the only decent one available ?

the Johnson types are still being made like optima and super start but not sure about these since they are shunned upon

???????

The Group 34 AGM batteries manufactured by East Penn are all currently available - Deka Intimidator, NAPA Legend AGM, O'Reilly Super Start Platinum, Autozone Duralast Platinum AGM (all the same battery).

The Diehard Platinum AGM Group 34 manufactured by Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls) is currently available from Advance Auto Parts among other places.

Northstar batteries is another good brand. I have had great success with them. For whatever reason it looks like Odyssey is selling them too. NSB is the base manufacturer for a lot of private label brands, including certain Canadian Tire models among others. I wouldn't be surprised if they produce some Odyssey batteries now as well.

Here is the one I use:
https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/nsb-agm24m/https://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm24mhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC3DKQH/?tag=wranglerorg-20

A Group 24 battery is taller and has about 15% more capacity than the Group 34. If you have the wedge style hold down, zero modifications are required to fit the larger Group 24. If you have the clamp hold-down, you'll need to bend a piece of bar stock into a handle shape to secure it.

The Marine versions of the Northstar battery (designated with the "M") come with extra stud type terminals that make it much easier to hook up winches and aftermarket electronics without disturbing the factory wiring.

Johnson control makes super start batts but someone bought the battery line in 2019. Not sure if that helps them or makes worse

According to reviews advance auto parts is doing a bait and switch(No die hard agms)

Last edited:
Johnson control makes super start batts but someone bought the battery line in 2019. Not sure if that helps them or makes worse

According to reviews advance auto parts is doing a bait and switch(No die hard agms)

The O'Reilly Super Start Platinum AGM Group 34 battery is manufactured by East Penn, not Johnson Controls. It is identical to the Deka Intimidator manufactured by East Penn.

Johnson Controls merged with Tyco in 2016 and the corporation was renamed Johnson Controls International. In 2018, Johnson Controls International sold its automotive battery business to Clarios, LLC, a Canadian private equity firm, for $13.2 Billion. Since then, Johnson Controls International has been completely out of the automotive business.

"Diehard" is a brand name now owned by Advance Auto Parts. It purchased the brand name from Sears for $200 million in 2019. Although in the past Diehard batteries were manufactured by both Johnson Controls and Exide, with some Diehard AGM batteries supplied to Sears by Odyssey, since the sale of the brand name all Diehard batteries are manufactured by Clarios, formerly Johnson Controls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
The O'Reilly Super Start Platinum AGM Group 34 battery is manufactured by East Penn, not Johnson Controls. It is identical to the Deka Intimidator manufactured by East Penn.

Johnson Controls merged with Tyco in 2016 and the corporation was renamed Johnson Controls International. In 2018, Johnson Controls International sold its automotive battery business to Clarios, LLC, a Canadian private equity firm, for $13.2 Billion. Since then, Johnson Controls International has been completely out of the automotive business.

"Diehard" is a brand name now owned by Advance Auto Parts. It purchased the brand name from Sears for $200 million in 2019. Although in the past Diehard batteries were manufactured by both Johnson Controls and Exide, with some Diehard AGM batteries supplied to Sears by Odyssey, since the sale of the brand name all Diehard batteries are manufactured by Clarios, formerly Johnson Controls.
Good info, Mr. Bills. For me, that puts the Diehard on my “never buy that battery“ list.

Reactions: Blondie70

Many of these are manufactured by the same company and then different stickers are slapped on depending on the distribution partner. The Johnson Control batteries are usually manufactured in Mexico. East Penn is a US company.

Like most products, COVID slowed battery manufacturing. Limited supplies and state regulations were the same as other industries.

Last one I bought for my 4Runner I bought a Duracell AGM group 24. Been a year and a half and it’s great. Remember though, top it off monthly to fully charge it as the charging system just doesn’t quite do it.

Elaborate, please.
On?

With Toyota, their alternators suck. They give 13.9-14 Amps at MOST.

The AGM’s need a full tip off with a 14.5-14-6 amp load. So a GOOD charger monthly.

Just to top it fully off or your damaging your battery.

That’s how it was explained to me going AGM.

On?

With Toyota, their alternators suck. They give 13.9-14 Amps at MOST.

The AGM’s need a full tip off with a 14.5-14-6 amp load. So a GOOD charger monthly.

Just to top it fully off or your damaging your battery.

That’s how it was explained to me going AGM.
I'd never heard that. Seems like a lot of work.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I'd never heard that. Seems like a lot of work.
It is, until you need the power. I have a type 1 diabetic son. His insulin needs cooled. So, we have a fridge for camping. We don’t fuck around with 2k worth of insulin.

Your beer needs might be less. 😂

But it’s not much of an issue. Just a maintenance thing. Hell I run beadlocks on her DD…so, why not. 😂

Reactions: ejay
What is the charging voltage of the stock Jeep alternator? If it puts out 14.4 (14.3-14.7) volts it will charge an AGM to 100%. If it's lower it won't fully charge one.
The float charge voltage specified for an AGM battery is just about what our alternators put out. The voltage numbers you have listed are for chargers that terminate charge, our alternators do not terminate charge so those numbers do not apply.

The float charge voltage specified for an AGM battery is just about what our alternators put out. The voltage numbers you have listed are for chargers that terminate charge, our alternators do not terminate charge so those numbers do not apply.
So what did our alternators put out?