Chainsaws

I wouldn’t take another Poulan as a free gift. Or any other of their rebrands (craftsman, etc). Stihl is well worth the money if you want it to run when you need it. If you want a shorter bar you can buy one and use it when needed. A 20” Stihl with at 16” bar is my preferred camping saw. Plenty of power and easy to wield.
I did the same thing, but with the Stihl 170, took the 16" bar off and put on a 14". Fits easier on my side by side and I cut with it all year, clearing roads in the winter and cutting most of our firewood during the spring and summer and fall.
IMG_20190113_125207079.jpg

Last edited:
Down here it’s ponderosa pine. I’ll admit I spent a half day getting one out of the road with my little saw in a burnout once. It was massive. I don’t think even a 32” bar would have gone through it. It took a lot of cuts and still had to pull the big pieces out of the road with my K10.

Chain saw tips... this is meant to help guys/ gals who dont use saws much... this is not meant to patronize anyone.

Chain "tightness"... pull your chain up out of the bar, you should be able to put a dime between chain guides and the bar. To tight will cause heat and will stretch the chain faster. To loose will allow chain to be thrown off. If you throw your chain reset it, run for 10sec, then check gap again. Do not over tighten or pull saw hard when it is stuck in wood, you will bend the worm/ tightening gear. Take bar off saw first.

Bar maintainace... first, i will say that your bar is not bent or pinched! It can happen, but i have literally run them over with a skidder, or had them pinched in a log so bad i had to have a skidder break the log. It is most likely your lack of proper bar maintainace. First remove bar from saw, use a scraper to clean out the chains channel. With oil, saw dust and metal dust combined with heat it will make a hard paste in the channel. This will cause the chain to ride on top of the "cement" and make chains come off more often.

When you run the putty knife in the channel, you will push materials into the two oiler holes located on the bar. Use that little screw diver or the pointy end of your file to clean it out.

Bar "mushrooming"... as the chain travels over the bar. Heat/ friction cause the bar to mushroom over. Use a flat file to take the sharp edge off. If the bar is wider than the chain it will not go through the log or tree no mater how hard you push!

Sharpening saw... the weight of the saw "should" be enough to go threw the material being cut. If its not, it most likely needs to be sharpened. If you are hand sharpening, dont just "touch up" the tooth. Make sure you have the right size file.

Chips vs dust... if the saw is making "dust", this is mostly the raker part of the tooth. Use your flat file and take 1, i say again 1 stroke of the raker. To much will cuz the chain to take to big of a bite. Saws with a low CC with have a real hard time!

Chain selection... their are "basically" 3 types. Anti skip (bump chain) , chisel chain, and skip chain. Anti skip chain will have a 3rd kind of tooth combined with the tooth and raker. This is for peeps who are low use chain sawers. It take very small bites ( like a hacksaw). Full chisel are the most common. Skip chain has every other tooth missing, so is way faster to hand sharpen and can take a big bite. This chain is dangerous to beginners and requires a large CC saw to run them.

Bars... you can put a 1000ft bar on any saw, but due to tooth surface area it cant turn them. Chose bar by the amount of CCs your saw has. The smaller the bar, the more "power" you will have. Most peeps when asked "how big is your saw" they answer with bar size. It like saying that your jeep size or power is determined by wheel size. If you have a 4cyl and put on 35s it cant turn them well.

CCs/ power head... home owner saw is in the 40- 50cc range, moderate is 50- 60cc , pro saws 60cc -120cc

I hope this helps someone... i know their is more stuff involved, and as this conversation grows i will add more. And DONT buy a saw in a box, and dont buy crap brands!

Chain saw tips... this is meant to help guys/ gals who dont use saws much... this is not meant to patronize anyone.

Chain "tightness"... pull your chain up out of the bar, you should be able to put a dime between chain guides and the bar. To tight will cause heat and will stretch the chain faster. To loose will allow chain to be thrown off. If you throw your chain reset it, run for 10sec, then check gap again. Do not over tighten or pull saw hard when it is stuck in wood, you will bend the worm/ tightening gear. Take bar off saw first.

Bar maintainace... first, i will say that your bar is not bent or pinched! It can happen, but i have literally run them over with a skidder, or had them pinched in a log so bad i had to have a skidder break the log. It is most likely your lack of proper bar maintainace. First remove bar from saw, use a scraper to clean out the chains channel. With oil, saw dust and metal dust combined with heat it will make a hard paste in the channel. This will cause the chain to ride on top of the "cement" and make chains come off more often.

When you run the putty knife in the channel, you will push materials into the two oiler holes located on the bar. Use that little screw diver or the pointy end of your file to clean it out.

Bar "mushrooming"... as the chain travels over the bar. Heat/ friction cause the bar to mushroom over. Use a flat file to take the sharp edge off. If the bar is wider than the chain it will not go through the log or tree no mater how hard you push!

Sharpening saw... the weight of the saw "should" be enough to go threw the material being cut. If its not, it most likely needs to be sharpened. If you are hand sharpening, dont just "touch up" the tooth. Make sure you have the right size file.

Chips vs dust... if the saw is making "dust", this is mostly the raker part of the tooth. Use your flat file and take 1, i say again 1 stroke of the raker. To much will cuz the chain to take to big of a bite. Saws with a low CC with have a real hard time!

Chain selection... their are "basically" 3 types. Anti skip (bump chain) , chisel chain, and skip chain. Anti skip chain will have a 3rd kind of tooth combined with the tooth and raker. This is for peeps who are low use chain sawers. It take very small bites ( like a hacksaw). Full chisel are the most common. Skip chain has every other tooth missing, so is way faster to hand sharpen and can take a big bite. This chain is dangerous to beginners and requires a large CC saw to run them.

Bars... you can put a 1000ft bar on any saw, but due to tooth surface area it cant turn them. Chose bar by the amount of CCs your saw has. The smaller the bar, the more "power" you will have. Most peeps when asked "how big is your saw" they answer with bar size. It like saying that your jeep size or power is determined by wheel size. If you have a 4cyl and put on 35s it cant turn them well.

CCs/ power head... home owner saw is in the 40- 50cc range, moderate is 50- 60cc , pro saws 60cc -120cc

I hope this helps someone... i know their is more stuff involved, and as this conversation grows i will add more. And DONT buy a saw in a box, and dont buy crap brands!

Good post but CC's is not an indication of pro vs homeowner.
I have a ported 30cc saw with 16" narrow kerf that out cuts most of my 50cc saws.
But yes, the majority of pro saws that arborists use are in the upper range.

I agree... just trying to give a guide to help people pick the right saw. Theirare pro saws that are lower cc... but then it gets complicated to explain.

Reactions: Bird
Fuel mix... make sure you are accurate on your fuel/ oil mixure. 1 gal is 1 gal. Not about 1 gal. Use high grade gas.

Bar chain oil... always put in 9/10th full on fuel, and fill BC oil 100%, this way if fuel runs out you didnt already run out of oil which could damage the bar/ chain. Their are summer and winter weight BC oil, if you dont have a winter mix, stir in 1:5 ratio of diesel fuel to BC oil to thin it out.

Warming up saw... if you are just starting it to run alil fuel through it, thats fine, but it needs to run for at least 3-4 min to avoid excess condensation build up. Never run saw wide open with out a load on it.

After purchase of new saw... after "40hrs" ish of run time, bring back to shop to have a magnetic tachometer put to it. They will adjust the carb after the rings etc have set.

Bar selection... you can get a round nose or a tapered nose. Round nose is more dangerous due to kick back.

As i said, as i think of more ill post it...

Reactions: StG58
Fuel mix... make sure you are accurate on your fuel/ oil mixture. 1 gal is 1 gal. Not about 1 gal. Use high grade gas.

Just a side note . . . . not meant to sidetrack your good posts for the newbie saw users.

When the black flies, horse flies, deer flies, and the no-see-ums are thick and driving you crazy, a lot of fallers, myself included would up the oil ratio so our saws would smoke. Working in a cloud of blue exhaust smoke was a degree more comfortable than the flying bugs.

🌲🌲🐝🕷

Reactions: Bird