Change NV3550 fluid?

Djobe478

My TJ has the NV3550 and also has 160k on the odometer...I have zero clue about its maintenance history so I'm curious as to if I should mess with the trans fluid at all...I have absolutely ZERO issues with the transmission and I have heard if the fluid has never been changed that more or less the transmission gets used to running with all the build up in it and if you drain it and put fresh fluid in, it may not run correctly...so being that it is somewhat high mileage and has zero issues should I leave it be or go ahead and put some fresh redline in there?

My TJ has the NV3550 and also has 160k on the odometer...I have zero clue about its maintenance history so I'm curious as to if I should mess with the trans fluid at all...I have absolutely ZERO issues with the transmission and I have heard if the fluid has never been changed that more or less the transmission gets used to running with all the build up in it and if you drain it and put fresh fluid in, it may not run correctly...so being that it is somewhat high mileage and has zero issues should I leave it be or go ahead and put some fresh redline in there?
Drain and fill it with Redline MTL.

What you read about not changing the transmission fluid only has to do with automatic transmissions and the often repeated rumor warning against changing it after too many miles is nothing more than an old wive's tale. It's NEVER too late to change the ATF in an automatic. That it shouldn't be changed after going too long without changing it just a bad/incorrect rumor. If an automatic transmission whose ATF hadn't been changed regularly enough fails after it finally did get changed, the transmission was about to fail anyway.

Just replaced mine (200K miles) yesterday with some Redline MTL. I can't say I appreciate the differences in old vs. new fluid and the magical properties often associated on this forum with Redline MTL - but if you saw the oil that came out of my tranny you would definitely change yours haha. Mine was dark mocha with plenty of shimmery stuff.

Surprisingly I thought my tranny shifted great before hand - I'm not too picky though normally. Perhaps my tranny needs a few more miles to appreciate the high quality lubrication it's just inhereted (I'm driving to Moab this weekend so 400 miles should do it!). Do yourself a favor and get 1 gallon of Redline MTL and a 1 gallon hand pump and you will thank yourself later! You'll also need a 17mm hex wrench to pull both plugs out.

Oil: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002INJ69I/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Pump: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M589TA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
17mm Hex Socket: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W81LPY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Park on a level surface - I did it in my garage - remove fill plug then drain plug - and it will be one of the easiest oil changes you've ever done!

I know everyone touts the Redline MTL as the superior fluid for the NV series transmissions. If you can source Amsoil locally, go with the Amsoil Synchromesh. Just as good if not better than the Redline MTL imho.

If you can source Amsoil locally, go with the Amsoil Synchromesh. Just as good if not better than the Redline MTL imho.
Exactly what is it about Amsoil where you believe it may even be better than Redline? Are you in the petroleum/lubrication industry?

I'm personally no fan of Amsoil. Not because their lubes are bad, the quality is actually high. I simply hate how they and their MLM marketeers push it like snake oil salesmen used to peddle their wares.

Reactions: Rygrego
Nope, not a chemical engineer.
Just seat of the pants feels over any knowledge in the chemical break downs of the two fluids.

I've tried both the Amsoil and Redline and prefer the Amsoil overall. They are both superior fluids and has very similar characteristics. I noticed with the Amsoils, it has a slightly "crisper" shift than the Redline. I'm running the Redline fluid now, no complaints so far.

+ 1 on Redline. I ignored the original advice of using Redline, put regular gear oil in my 3550 and it ground like a banshee. I got some Redline immediately, drained it and it shifts quietly and smoothly (like butter). Had you heard my shifts, you would have been sure I did not know how to drive and my tranny needed a rebuild.

I know everyone touts the Redline MTL as the superior fluid for the NV series transmissions. If you can source Amsoil locally, go with the Amsoil Synchromesh. Just as good if not better than the Redline MTL imho.

I'll second that. In my case I got better results with Amsoil Synchromesh vs. Redline MTL. Also tried Redline MT-90 as I ordered by mistake. Will go back to Amsoil Synchromesh.

You should, as a general rule, change out all driveline fluids when you get a new to you older vehicle. Ideally you should flush and replace all fluids including coolant, brake, PS, clutch if you can. This let's you have a better idea the conditions of the systems and knowing you are not continuing to cause damage to the vehicle.
Always use the correct fluid from a quality brand. Replace filters if possible too.

Just a heads up for those not wanting to drop 100 on a gallon of MTL. I bought 2 quart bottles and, using some water filter lines I had, Improvised an "air pump" by driling holes in the lid of one of the quarts, inserting the hose and using my air compressor at 10lbs, forced air into the smaller line, and the fluid moved up the larger into the tranny. Simple and clean.
IMG_20220409_105343545_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220409_103916565_HDR.jpg

At 20.00/quart, it helps keep the expenses down.
Hope this helps somebody. I read about this here on the forums. Just wanted to reiterate and add pics.
will

Last edited:
Drain and fill it with Redline MTL.

What you read about not changing the transmission fluid only has to do with automatic transmissions and the often repeated rumor warning against changing it after too many miles is nothing more than an old wive's tale. It's NEVER too late to change the ATF in an automatic. That it shouldn't be changed after going too long without changing it just a bad/incorrect rumor. If an automatic transmission whose ATF hadn't been changed regularly enough fails after it finally did get changed, the transmission was about to fail anyway.
Jerry dont believe in bad juju :devilish:

Change it with Redline MTL. But be gentle with the shifting for a little bit right after the change. I used to have some grinding going into second gear, but it stopped after a year with the MTL change.