Change pitman arm or track bar mount?

David Stephan

After searching online for a definitive answer on dropped pitman arms with the Currie Currectlync I’m more confused than when I started. I know that the track bar and drag link should be parallel to get rid of bumpsteer but with my current set up I don’t get any bumpsteer at all. Unfortunately the PO of my jeep welded a dropped track bar mount on the frame side so I’m not really sure what to do to get the drag link and track bar parallel. Any help or insight would be great.

5B761999-E15D-4C20-893D-ED69070F48A3.jpeg

You don't need a dropped pitman arm unless your track bar has a drop bracket on it. Alternatively, if you have a track bar with a drop bracket on it, then it's a poorly designed track bar, and you should get a track bar without a drop bracket on it.

If it doesn't, then you should have a stock pitman arm, even with the Currie Currectlync.

A drop pitman arm is something you should avoid at all costs.

Reactions: B252
You don't need a dropped pitman arm unless your track bar has a drop bracket on it. Alternatively, if you have a track bar with a drop bracket on it, then it's a poorly designed track bar, and you should get a track bar without a drop bracket on it.

If it doesn't, then you should have a stock pitman arm, even with the Currie Currectlync.

A drop pitman arm is something you should avoid at all costs.

Okay, that’s what I thought. I’m not sure if my track bar is dropped or just relocated forward and changed to a different type of end. I think the stock mount is still on the frame with a relocation brack mounted to it and then welded to the frame. Is it possible to send a picture of the stock track bar mount?

Your track bar has a drop bracket on it. It should look like this:

alignment01.jpg

Get rid of that drop bracket on the track bar, keep the stock Pitman arm, and you'll be good to go.

The track bars that come with a drop bracket are made for use with a drop pitman arm. However, that's not the right way to do it. The right way to do it would be to simply have a track bar that mounts to the stock location (without a drop bracket) and a stock pitman arm.

When you get to a certain lift height you need these drop brackets and drop pitman arm. However, that's not going to happen at 4", which is typically about the most you see TJs lifted in terms of suspension lifts.

Reactions: David Stephan
If I cut the drop bracket off would I still be able to use the track bar I have? It’s adjustable but I’m not sure if the joint on the end would work with the stock mount.

image.jpg

Take a side view of your frame side track bar mount. It looks like it is still near the "factory" position, but is now a double shear with the bolt running horizontally instead of vertically. If anything, your mount may be a bit higher than stock.

Take a side view of your frame side track bar mount. It looks like it is still near the "factory" position, but is now a double shear with the bolt running horizontally instead of vertically. If anything, your mount may be a bit higher than stock.
To me it looks to be a few inches forward but pretty close to the same height due to the 90 degree change in mounting style.

AE49DF55-46DF-4360-B4D0-AE617C9AC5CF.jpeg

04F9E374-BF9D-40BC-9AC8-BBEFE45D5E48.jpeg

13DEBF54-03F1-4CB7-8CEC-B3860C0608FA.jpeg

X2, show us a photo taken from the driver's side of the trackbar's frame mount. It's hard to tell for sure but it doesn't appear to position the driver's side of the track bar any lower than the OE mount did.

X2, show us a photo taken from the driver's side of the trackbar's frame mount. It's hard to tell for sure but it doesn't appear to position the driver's side of the track bar any lower than the OE mount did.
I posted these two above, I can post a better picture tomorrow morning after I take a wheel off.
D0AA030D-B8F3-45A4-A292-9C3C44F31EBC.jpeg
8BF7A955-5324-4C5E-99F1-7DF75B261FFA.jpeg

That height looks normal to me, as in it doesn't look dropped. Based on what I can see I'd definitely be running strictly the factory Pitman arm, not a dropped Pitman arm.

Yep, that track bar height is normal. Looks like it’s just double shear.

You can run that track bar with the stock pitman arm and you’ll be fine.