Changed my first spark plugs today

Since buying the Jeep last year I’ve improved mechanically. I already changed out the radiator and today’s project was installing new spark plugs. I put the new ones in and she starts right up and sounds great. Are there any tells I should be looking for as I drive around that would bring into question my work?

Did you follow any particular posts on this forum? I'm new at this stuff too, so I always enjoy reading how-to posts written by others.

Since buying the Jeep last year I’ve improved mechanically. I already changed out the radiator and today’s project was installing new spark plugs. I put the new ones in and she starts right up and sounds great. Are there any tells I should be looking for as I drive around that would bring into question my work?
Congratulations! It can be very rewarding! I predict you’ll do a lot more in the future.

I noticed the video recommended oil on the threads of the plug. From the good old days I have always used anti-seize. So I researched it a little and found NGK says no lubricant. Getting ready to do my first spark plug change and wondered what you guys think about lubing the threads and the potential to over torque the plugs.

I noticed the video recommended oil on the threads of the plug. From the good old days I have always used anti-seize. So I researched it a little and found NGK says no lubricant. Getting ready to do my first spark plug change and wondered what you guys think about lubing the threads and the potential to over torque the plugs.

NGK, and probably everyone else, puts a little anti-seize on the threads, so no need to use more.

As long as you're aware of the potential to over torque the plugs you should be fine. It's the guys that go at them with everything they've got to make sure they're gudentite that have issues.

Reactions: Ironman
I don't know anybody that uses oil on the threads. It's not going to prevent corrosion or anything else other than make torquing the plugs a bit more complicated. I haven't used anit-seize but I do know mechanics that use it. I'm glad @Joeinnewjersey did some research here about the correct plugs to use.

Reactions: Ironman
I wouldn't apply any oil to the threads. Use nothing larger than a 3/8" ratchet wrench to tighten them and you won't have to worry about getting them too tight. Within reason of course.

I wouldn't apply any oil to the threads. Use nothing larger than a 3/8" ratchet wrench to tighten them and you won't have to worry about getting them too tight. Within reason of course.
I don't know anybody that uses oil on the threads. It's not going to prevent corrosion or anything else other than make torquing the plugs a bit more complicated. I haven't used anit-seize but I do know mechanics that use it. I'm glad @Joeinnewjersey did some research here about the correct plugs to use.
I don’t do anything to the jeep until I get information from the posters here.

I bought new plugs at the end of last year, haven't put them in yet. Just watched the video because Jerry said it was good, I'm glad I did, it will save me some time figuring out the coil rail and the importance of blowing out the plug area first.
I've changed dozens of plugs on motorcycles, but my Jeep is due, I think they're original!

For anybody totally green I'd say the coil rail can be a little more difficult than the video makes it look. I'd also add that if the plugs fall out of the socket and hit anything when you are getting them in the gap can get screwed up really easily, done that a few times on other vehicles. I waited too long to do my original plugs, they only last around 30k. I waited till 60k and they were ugly.

Reactions: Jacket4256
For anybody totally green I'd say the coil rail can be a little more difficult than the video makes it look. I'd also add that if the plugs fall out of the socket and hit anything when you are getting them in the gap can get screwed up really easily, done that a few times on other vehicles. I waited too long to do my original plugs, they only last around 30k. I waited till 60k and they were ugly.
mine was a pita to get off, I had to pull way way harder than I thought I should. Also the boots are known to rip good to replace them or know of a place that has them available locally.

Reactions: pagrey
Helpful video for the un-initiated. Oil on the threads is a no-no, as it can oxidize in that dry/hot environment and leave a residue.
A whiff of 'never-seize' and drop the torque spec a pound or two will be alright.
Good idea to pull the intake tube for ease of working on that side, and check air filter/etc.
That TJ had very pleasant under hood cleanliness . . . under hood light wasn't working, still plugged in.
Enjoyed the video!

I tend to do things the hard way. I pulled the right front fender so I could get better access to to my spark plugs. 😊

16-09-14 12.JPG