Changed my first spark plugs today

I have made my first spark plug change in my TJ 2004, 4.0 as well. I bought Autolite XP985 Iridium XP Spark Plugs from Amazon (followed the advice from the folks from here). I bought a bought in total (6 for now and some for future). The issue with them was packaging - they ship in small cardboard box and usually breaks apart, and they get smashed in shipment. Also, out of the bunch, only like 8 had the correct gapping of 0.035, others looked damaged during shipment, with gaps of 0.025 or even less.
My recommendation is to immediately check them when you receive them, and if anything looks damaged, return them right away and get replacement. I did not do it, so i am stuck with ones that i need to regap in future.
Anyway, i used 6 with right gapping out of the box (0.035 for our 4.0, i have measured the gap to confirm), and installed them. I did not use any lube/grease or anti-seize.
I had to remove only 4 screws, the ones that hold the coil pack. Then move the coil pack a little so i can reach the plugs, clean the area with compressed air can from BestBuy (the one that they sell for cleaning heatsicks in computers, like 15$ for 2). Then remove the old plugs, they come out pretty easy with 3/8 spark plug socket (the one with joint - like this one https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...AZ2fzF9UClFmMD_VkecaApmbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds). The reason to use one with joint is that it allows you to reach the plugs easily, not requiring to have straight angle to it, which was critical for me for spark closed to firewall, as area there is tight.
Installed new plugs with same socket, used torque spec of 24 or 25 ft. lbs.
This is how the old plugs look like:

IMG_2755.jpg

can anyone tell me how to get the coil pack unplugged? i have moved the red tab over but it will not release. any help is much appreciated.
I have 4.0 2004. I replaced my plugs, and did not have to unplug the wire from the coil plug. Remove bolts connecting the the coil pack to the engine, pull it back so that it disconnects from plugs, and then slightly push it down, like an inch down. You will see the plugs.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
can anyone tell me how to get the coil pack unplugged? i have moved the red tab over but it will not release. any help is much appreciated.
The red tab is just a lock, under it is a black piece that is designed to function as a release lever. Pressing the end of that lever (closest to the wire side of the connector) is supposed to lift its front end off a latch on the mating part. These levers can crack and you may need something to get under it and pry it off the latch.

It requires probably less than 1/8 of an inch of movement/travel to unlock the two, but that lever not working as intended makes it miserable to get to work.

FWIW, I've been changing spark plugs for probably 55 years, and I always check the gap on every single one I install. Even on the NGK's that come with the little plastic tube over the ends.
All it takes is for some stock clerk in the store to drop the box as he stocks the shelves and the gap can be closed up.

FWIW, I've been changing spark plugs for probably 55 years, and I always check the gap on every single one I install. Even on the NGK's that come with the little plastic tube over the ends.
All it takes is for some stock clerk in the store to drop the box as he stocks the shelves and the gap can be closed up.
Same... I always check the gap on all plugs I replace.