Changing out the rear end

Chris conner

I started having a loud ticking noise coming from the diff and several individuals checked it out and couldn't give me a definitive answer on the issue. So I picked up a used rear and I've been slowly working on it yesterday I've got all the brake lines and cables disconnected. I've got two final bolts left but have to go pick up a bigger socket then it'll be out. In only worried about figuring out how to put the drums back together. Wish me luck

Did you pull the diff cover from the original rear end? Is the clicking in one of the drums, or in the diff? During disassembly pictures are your friend. At each stage several from each angle, with good lighting, I have found essential to any project on which I work.

I placed the Tj on stands and the noise was coming from the diff not the drums. I pulled the cover off and everything inside seemed normal, no metal junks or anything in the fluid. I reseated and refilled the diff just to see if anything changed. Nothing. So then I decided to just swap the whole rear end. Got new ujoints but that's being a pain in my ass and changing out the shoes while I have them apart.

Couple more questions:
Describe the clicking. Once a ring gear rotation? Or more? Or less? Can you move the 3rd member around in the carrier ? What is your pinion/ring backlash? Did you discover connect the drives haft to do these checks?
Besides taking before disassembly pictures, only did assembling one side at a time is helpfull.

It gets louder and fast when speeding up but if you push in the clutch the noise goes away. I haven't tried to move the 3rd member yet. I checked with the jeep on stands with the shaft connected and then pulled the shaft. Thanks for the advice. I have the new end in. Still need to connect all the brake cables and lines then do the ujoints and shoes.

What happened when it was on stands with the rear drive shaft disconnected?

Last edited:
Trying to post from my phone is a stab at accuracy! Please reread my last.
If the shaft was disconnected and on the stands with the noise present then it is not the diff.
So repeat your test with the axle on stands, diff cover off. Start it, and while you are watching have some one bump the gas. Now don't do this for any extended period for, duh obvious reasons! But, it might give you an better idea of what is happening. "Clicking" is not a usual noise associated with ring and pinion failure. Clicking is something coming under tension then suddenly being released. That is not typically a bearing failure or a gear failure.
Good luck and please keep us up to date. This is fascinating.

Not exactly sure what the issue was, but I changed out the entire rear end, changed the ujoints, did the rear shoes while I had them apart, brake flush, and topped off the new diff with some good fluids. Jeep runs great no more noise and everything seems to be good. Thanks for all the tips and help

Probably a bad pinion or carrier bearing if you couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the gears when the cover was off.