Should I use RTV when installing a new valve cover gasket?

I just finished mine a couple weeks ago and didn't use any RTV. I agree with TJ4Jim as far as the RTV being a personal preference.

At the same time I changed both grommets since they showed slight leakage. I also picked up the front elbow (the one without a restriction) and was glad I did as I broke the elbow trying to remove it to change the grommets.

FWIW, the dealer didn't show the rear grommet as being available. But when I gave them the number off the grommet they were able to order it and they received it the next day. ??????

I just changed mine about a month ago also with the Fel-pro, and I did not use any RTV. So far no leaks.
A mechanic friend of mine told me to go back the next day and re-check torque on all the bolts again, being careful not to over torque them.

20170128_210142.jpg
55 inch lbs?

I tried today but have a double hernia. With my jeep sitting high I had to stand on something and bending over was to much. It will have to wait until Im healed up

The FSM for my 05 stated 10 Newton meters. I just did mine today oddly enough. If you have the plastic wiring harness bridge at the rear of your valve cover you will do yourself a huge favor by taking it apart and getting it out of your way. It's practically impossible to work around

Attached is a pdf of 2 pages out of the TJ shop manual for a 2002 SE. It appears there is a cured gasket in the valve cover that they don't want you to remove and another gasket on the engine that you can replace. Do any of you smart folks out there know what they mean? Thank you

Attachments

• 20170321141331.pdf
    157.4 KB · Views: 871
Attached is a pdf of 2 pages out of the TJ shop manual for a 2002 SE. It appears there is a cured gasket in the valve cover that they don't want you to remove and another gasket on the engine that you can replace. Do any of you smart folks out there know what they mean? Thank you

A cured gasket is nothing more than a sealant usually laid down by a robot that is cured in place by a heat source. Although I have changed several of those gaskets I have never seen that and I would not concern yourself about it. Just get both surfaces clean and use a high quality gasket like Fel Pro.

A cured gasket is nothing more than a sealant usually laid down by a robot that is cured in place by a heat source. Although I have changed several of those gaskets I have never seen that and I would not concern yourself about it. Just get both surfaces clean and use a high quality gasket like Fel Pro.
Thank you. I have the Fel Pro.

In this case, the factory is referring to RTV sealant.

Valve cover.JPG

If you're going to touch up your old factory goop, use an oil-resistant RTV. I might be tempted to strip it off and install a Felpro if it shows any sign of age. The problem you run into is cleaning the aluminum cover without using steel scrapers or anything abrasive. There is a silicone solvent available at some hardware stores that might be an option. Here's a video that may help

Reactions: bedhed
In this case, the factory is referring to RTV sealant.

View attachment 12893

If you're going to touch up your old factory goop, use an oil-resistant RTV. I might be tempted to strip it off and install a Felpro if it shows any sign of age. The problem you run into is cleaning the aluminum cover without using steel scrapers or anything abrasive. There is a silicone solvent available at some hardware stores that might be an option. Here's a video that may help

Thank you

View attachment 10021

The FSM for my 05 stated 10 Newton meters. I just did mine today oddly enough. If you have the plastic wiring harness bridge at the rear of your valve cover you will do yourself a huge favor by taking it apart and getting it out of your way. It's practically impossible to work around

Wholeheartedly agree with this comment! Get that bridge out of there. Struggled for a while just getting to the back bolt

Just did the valve cover gasket today with a Felpro gasket. Finished putting everything back together and I noticed a slight gap. Pretty confident I seated it down properly and torqued to 85 in ft lbs. Does the cover normally sit this high with the Felpro? I did notice the ridge on the gasket was pretty thick.
5E500446-4B12-4191-9350-4B13BBDF5ED6.jpeg

64515BD5-0A90-4DF5-A8E6-C13792D191CA.jpeg

13E62DC3-1BC7-4E6A-9E74-5AE4F4A376CC.jpeg

Also, I have new oil for an oil change. Do I run the engine and take it for a drive before changing oil to flush out any potential contaminants that may have fallen into the engine? Or change the oil as soon as the valve gasket is done?

Just did the valve cover gasket today with a Felpro gasket. Finished putting everything back together and I noticed a slight gap. Pretty confident I seated it down properly and torqued to 85 in ft lbs. Does the cover normally sit this high with the Felpro? I did notice the ridge on the gasket was pretty thick.
View attachment 295997
View attachment 295999
View attachment 296000

Also, I have new oil for an oil change. Do I run the engine and take it for a drive before changing oil to flush out any potential contaminants that may have fallen into the engine? Or change the oil as soon as the valve gasket is done?
It looks as though the rocker cover is sitting down on the spacers that are built into the gasket so you should be fine there. The spacers are there to keep the gasket from being squeezed out when torqued down.

As for debris from the gasket swap, hopefully you didn't leave any large chunks in there. Either way you decide to do it the pick up screen and filter will catch anything that you missed. Personally I would run it before changing the oil that way any thing that the screen stops has a chance to be drained out with the oil change.

Reactions: jazngab
It looks as though the rocker cover is sitting down on the spacers that are built into the gasket so you should be fine there. The spacers are there to keep the gasket from being squeezed out when torqued down.

As for debris from the gasket swap, hopefully you didn't leave any large chunks in there. Either way you decide to do it the pick up screen and filter will catch anything that you missed. Personally I would run it before changing the oil that way any thing that the screen stops has a chance to be drained out with the oil change.
Perfect. Thanks. No large chunks but minimal tiny bits of debris made its way in. I’ll run it for a week or two. It’ll give me a chance to make sure it’s not leaking as well.