Cheap door trim screws

06lj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but since I didn't find any threads I figured I post one.
I needed some trim screws for my doors. With a quick online search I found the Mopar replacements were anywhere from $2.50-$7.00 dollars a screw. I had no interest in investing that much into some little screws... so down to Ace I went. The closest hardware they had were some black oxide trim finishing screws. They were the same thread and length as the Mopars but the collar was significantly larger.
20190320_150808.jpg

I figured I could Macgyver something out of them.
I got my dremel out and held the screws collar against a grinding wheel. The collar rotates freely as it grinds down.
20190320_150833.jpg

It took me about a minute for each one. In the end it's a pretty close match to the originals.
20190320_151003.jpg

20190320_153313.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Great job.

My son has a lifted ‘85 4Runner. A previous owner had cut a hole in the top of the center console lid to put a cab in it. It looked horrible. We cut a piece of old truck bed liner to fit the recess in his console lid and used those same kind of screws to attach it. It ended up looking pretty good.