Cheap factory sub replacement options

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
This is a short review and comparison between two inexpensive replacement speakers for the factory one in the center console, the Pyramid WX-65X and the Goldwood GW-S650/4. This is not meant to be a sound system upgrade, just a replacement for a worn out or broken factory speaker. About 10 years ago I replaced my broken factory sub with a Pyramid WX-65X.

https://www.parts-express.com/pyramid-wx65x-6-1-2-white-poly-woofer--290-270
Several people recommend it and with a little trimming of plastic it fits the factory box. You don't need a dual voice coil, the factory amp is single channel. It works well, just a good cheap replacement. It is funny to note that Pyramid says the magnet is 40oz and the speaker weighs a total of 2lbs.

This since parts-express has been out of stock for awhile I decided to check what else is available and found the Goldwood GW-S650/4.

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-s650-4-6-1-2-poly-cone-woofer-4-ohm--290-308
It has a few things that seem better other than costing about $10 more. It is rated at 80 watts which seems a better match for the factory amp, sensitivity is 90 db vs 87 db and the frequency range is down to 35 hz as opposed to 70 hz. So not only is it more efficient it is down to lower frequencies. The Vas is higher which I think means the speaker is a better fit for a small sealed box like the factory sub.

The speaker is more difficult to mount, you really have to work to clear the magnet and get the wires out but overall it sounds better, especially at lower frequencies. If you have decent mechanical skills it's worth getting over the Pyramid. Time will tell if it outlasts the Pyramid. That thing has been to hell and back, mud, water and sun for a decade and it still looks almost new.

Reactions: il buono
Pagrey, I do not have a speaker in the center console/arm-rest. Would this fit right in, with some cutting of the factory box? Also, do you just run the wiring under the carpet, up to the radio? I need to do some kind of upgrade to my factory radio.

I do not have a speaker in the center console/arm-rest. Would this fit right in, with some cutting of the factory box?

There are plenty of good subs available that fit in the center console. This is really just for the factory speaker enclosure. If you don't have that these aren't really a good choice.

I would vote for the Goldwood given the specs. If it dont workout you have some experience with the Pyramid and for a cool $10 its your .