Grille inserts

Oldguy

TJ Enthusiast
Like 25 bucks on amazon, snap in, took about 30 seconds to install

20190820_191117.jpg

I picked up the same style to freshen up my moms 06’

Those LEDs look good on that bumper. Somebody had a thread recently asking about stock replacements and I thought of those but had never seen them on a TJ bumper so I kept my big mouth shut. Now I know, not too bad. Doesn't hurt the picture is pretty good too.

Reactions: ranger101
Those grill inserts are
a pretty inexpensive way to restrict your air flow and overheat your engine.

it may not matter when everything is doing really well but when you start having cooling system issues that will contribute to failure.

not slamming you man just recalling helping a guy on the side of the road with an overheated TJ and something like that recently.

The system has some cushion designed into it for inefficiency and overwork, but if you restrict airflow 25% or so you are more than doing away with that... If you have an automatic transmission then that has to be factored in too.

TJ's to start showing cooling system issues somewhere between 125000 and 150000 miles.

Last edited:
Those grill inserts are pretty inexpensive way to restrict your air flow and overheat your engine.

it may not matter when everything is doing really well but when you start having cooling system issues that will contribute to failure.

not slamming you man just recalling helping a guy on the side of the road with an overheated TJ and something like that recently.

X2 to this.

Great way to restrict airflow.

Reactions: Willys LJ and Hog
Those LEDs look good on that bumper. Somebody had a thread recently asking about stock replacements and I thought of those but had never seen them on a TJ bumper so I kept my big mouth shut. Now I know, not too bad. Doesn't hurt the picture is pretty good too.

Headlights and bumper lights are just some Amazon specials but they get the job done well enough.

And that picture was taken on a service road on my lunch break with my iPhone haha

Reactions: Back In My Dream
Those grill inserts are

The system has some cushion designed into it for inefficiency and overwork, but if you restrict airflow 25% or so you are more than doing away with that... If you have an automatic transmission then that has to be factored in too.

TJ's to start showing cooling system issues somewhere between 125000 and 150000 miles.
Well I'll keep an eye on the temp gauge. Seeing as they snap in it will be an easy cool down. Maybe only winter use. We ll see

Those grill inserts are

Nope, that is garbage pure and simple. I've done the math and it agrees with everybody's real world experience. Cooling problems are never caused by these inserts. It may very slightly cause severe existing conditions to get worse but not likely.

View attachment 110793
Garrett
Might overheat your Jeep.
July 17, 2018
Verified Purchase
I would give it a 5 star, but I had one break in less than 2 weeks, not really sure how it got cracked. But more importantly I think it blocked enough air to over heat my Jeep when I was using it on back roads and off roads.
Give it up, the fan clutch was probably toast.

I have no opinion on if its blocks enough air to overheat a jeep in "GOOD" working order. I was just pointing out that there was one review about it. But it still was a 4 star.

I have no opinion on if its blocks enough air to overheat a jeep in "GOOD" working order. I was just pointing out that there was one review about it. But it still was a 4 star.
Even in poor working order it's fine but if it makes you nervous don't run them. Just don't come here and tell people they cause problems.

Reactions: hear and Tranz Zam
Even in poor working order it's fine but if it makes you nervous don't run them. Just don't come here and tell people they cause problems.
I was responding to the post that there were no reviews about overheating. What i posted was copied and pasted directly from an Amazon review. Like i said i don't have a opinion on that product.

Just an opinion on whether or not there was a review that stated overheating.

Reactions: UpperMI
Grill inserts do look pretty fly and more or less aesthetically unobtrusive [as opposed to say, obstructing or outright replacing the iconic grill]. That being said, if it poses any undue risk of increasing internal temperature, or, causing strain its one modification I will pass on.
There's plenty of other ways for me to explore customization on my Jeep. One of its best traits.
Props to anyone who uses the grill inserts because they do look good and I approve of them visually!

Reactions: Back In My Dream
Nope, that is garbage pure and simple. I've done the math and it agrees with everybody's real world experience. Cooling problems are never caused by these inserts. It may very slightly cause severe existing conditions to get worse but not likely.
If you read my post that's exactly what I said.... If the system begins to fail, these aren't going to help.

a fully functioning system has got enough over build to handle some obstruction. Notice I said it may not matter if everything is doing well.

And as far as me saying something... That is referred to as a constitutional right... Freedom of Speech.

Reactions: Blondie70
Well if we're playing "what if's", I doubt a stick or a rock puncturing the radiator would help the cooling system either, unlikely, but these could prevent that.

I have a winch, winch solenoid, and ac condenser obstructing the free flow of air in front of my radiator and have had no issues. I added the same grill inserts as the OP and there has been 0 change in the engine temp. I'm no engineer but it seems to me the TJ's grill design was more a function of maintaining the jeep look than meeting air flow requirements to cool the engine.

• Love
Reactions: hear and lindsey97