Cheap Seat Spacers

RubiconMike

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I wanted to raise the drivers seat in my TJ, but all the spacer kits cost from $25 to $50. Being a generally cheap guy with a "why-buy-when-I-can-make-it" attitude, I pulled a couple of bolts and went to the hardware store. I bought some thick black square washers and some longer bolts the same diameter/threads (make sure to get grade 8 bolts for the ones that use the Torx bit - they anchor the seat belt). I stacked the washers until I got the height I wanted, then pulled them, ran a weld bead down the side, and painted them.

The welding and painting is not necessary, it works just as well without them, but if you have OCD, you have to do something with your time. I also mounted my Mag-Lite on the little hump just in front of the seat - it's out of the way and always easy to reach.

20160214_111718.jpg
20160214_132343.jpg
20160214_132411.jpg

Cheap and effective! I keep hearing about people adding seat spacers, but I have yet to add them on my 2005 Rubicon, which is odd, because I'm only 5'8!

Are they all they're cracked up to be?

Chris - I'll let you know how I like them later this week when I get them installed. I'm 5' 8" also, and I feel like I'm sitting on the floor. Of course, it might have something to do with driving a Raptor for the past 4 years.

Rob

Yeah most likely but you want to have them large enough to support the weight (obviously) but the ID small enough so as to not move under stress. Someone on here used a block of wood but I can't remember who.

10-4, Gonna work on that this weekend, might have to drill out some washers or go to the hardware store and find some that match the bolts exactly. Thanks.

Reactions: Bird Dog
Thinking about doing a similar mod at 6’4. Did you use different heights to tilt the seat to the front or back? Can you feel a difference? Does it give you more leg room? Inquiring minds and legs want to know.

Thinking about doing a similar mod at 6’4. Did you use different heights to tilt the seat to the front or back? Can you feel a difference? Does it give you more leg room? Inquiring minds and legs want to know.
Well IDK that it will produce more leg rm per se, you will sit a bit higher but for me that was what I was after. At 5.6 I sat too low and the 1.5 in riser made a great difference for me looking over the hood and in the use of the sun visor.

Raising the seat will have an effect on how the seat lip hits the back of your leg and my just be more comfortable but I cannot confirm that. It makes sense to me but YMMV.

Dude this is the opposite of what you want to do at 6'4". I'm 6'1" and it's already too easy for my head to hit the roll bar.

Reactions: philski
I went the, I can make it myself, way too.
A scrap length of 1 1/2" x 2" rec. tube cut into 8 pieces. Holes drilled for the 2" rear and holes drilled for the 1 1/2" front. I did this about 14 yrs. ago.

My basic question here is.. are some of you doing this because you're under 6' tall and just want to sit higher or is there any other benefit to this? I'm 6'1" and sit fine (I think?). This is just one of those curious topics to me and want to make sure i'm not missing something people are doing since my seats are currently removed.

I'm sure if you bought a newer model tj never driven a pre lowered seat jeep you'd never know the difference. Im not certain, I think they changed around 2003. However, if you've driven an older tj for any considerable amount of time you feel like you're sitting incredibly low in the later tjs.

I'm 5'11, the seat risers were never about line of sight. I had my 97 for 12yrs, it was a comfort/ familiar thing to raise the seats.

Reactions: Reign Mack
My thoughts are that raising the seat a bit will increase my leg room. The headspace in my Tj is plenty but I hadn’t thought about the roll bars being in the way. I’ll have to try it and see how it feels after my knee heals up.

I did it to see over the dash bar and to the end of the hood.
When I'm in the rocks, I like to see what is right in front of me.
But on the highway I kick it back a couple of notches for comfort.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
I’m 6’ 5”. I have 1” risers under my seat. To answer your questions:

1. Yes.
2. Yes. My legs sit at a much more comfortable angle.
Agreed^. I’m 6’ 3” and also am using 1” spacers. Big improvement and well worth the slight loss of head room.

I used 1” aluminum bar stock that a buddy of mine got out of the “drops” rack at his metal supplier.
I made my spacers a bit different than some. I duplicated the original contact area of the seat base feet to the tub. I figured if the designers used that much contact area I would too.

1769EEA0-FBA2-4F7B-AF71-86D3EEE793E6.jpeg
508C7FD8-0CED-41FC-BF2B-7EA47527B6C6.jpeg
753C055F-551D-41B2-B9CE-46C8B2187847.jpeg