Cheap Seat Spacers

I'm going to make myself some spacers next week at work (I'm a machinist). I was thinking 1" tall and 1.5" length and width. Anyone think I should go taller? I'm 5'9" and have a 4" suspension and 2" body lift sitting on 35's.
Granted I could always make them 1.5" tall and if not happy mill then shorter.

Last edited:
I'm going to make myself some spacers next week at work (I'm a machinist). I was thinking 1" tall and 1.5" length and width. Anyone think I should go taller? I'm 5'9" and have a 4" suspension and 2" body lift sitting on 35's.
Granted I could always make them 1.5" tall and if not happy mill then shorter.
I'm 5'10" and have 1 inch spacers. Personally, I don't think I'd like them any higher. I sometimes have to duck my head down to see red lights when stopped 1st in line at an intersection, but I can see over the hood very well.

Reactions: Claybirdd
Does anyone have experience with the amazon big boy brackets vs the Mische big boy brackets? I'm all for supporting the small man but amazon is 30 and mische is around 150 for both front seats?

I’m 6’ 5”. I have 1” risers under my seat. To answer your questions:

1. Yes.
2. Yes. My legs sit at a much more comfortable angle.
Does it bring your head closer to or in way of the roll bar? I'm 6'6" and was just discussing my frustrations with the seats on our new Jeep LJ last night with the wife

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with the amazon big boy brackets vs the Mische big boy brackets? I'm all for supporting the small man but amazon is 30 and mische is around 150 for both front seats?

Does it bring your head closer to or in way of the roll bar? I'm 6'6" and was just discussing my frustrations with the seats on our new Jeep LJ last night with the wife
I use the misch brackets and tjey are great. No added height. Just 4 inches of more leg room.

I would think the amazon ones are fine. But when i looked i did not see all the bolts u need. Id just double check that. It is a very simple bracket.

I bought a set of 2" Aluminum spacers for my TJ and it was too much for me. I then bought the 1" spacers and it is better. I am 5'6" tall and although I prefer to sit up high, it was just too close to the cage to make me comfortable. If anyone wants to buy my 2" spacers, drop me a line :)

i have to raise my seats too, at 5'10'' the seats in my 04 just seems like i am sitting so much lower than i did in my 00 model. cant decide on the the 1 inch or 1 1/2

i have to raise my seats too, at 5'10'' the seats in my 04 just seems like i am sitting so much lower than i did in my 00 model. cant decide on the the 1 inch or 1 1/2
I’m the same height and 1” risers work well for me.

I had used a spiderwebs sunshade in the past, which hangs kind of low compared to the soft top. My head was almost touching it. Maybe an inch of clearance. I use a safari top now and it’s higher like the soft top.

FWIW, I'm 5 foot 12, and put 1-1/4" risers on mine. My wife, who is 5 foot 8, REALLY likes them.
Thanks, guess i will split the difference and go about that height. My daughter is 5'8'' and will be starting to learn to drive in my jeep after this cold snap ends and the weather clears up so i'm guessing i have a week or two to get the seat lift installed.

Great thread all!
Recently liner the interior of tub and lost some seat hardware, figured I'd just look into a kit. I'm 6'2" with a 34' inseam. I've owned sports cars my whole life, so sitting low in the seat didn't feel off to me. But I'd like a little more over hood visibility. My question is, does your head hit the hard top? Can you see traffic lights? I'm at stock seat level (4.25" lift) and I either have to stop well before the light or lean forward and crane my neck to look up in search for a green light. I haven't seen anyone mention that and would imagine it'd only get worse if I lifted the seat. Then I see a 6'4" and other loving them.
How do u tall guys deal with the traffic lights overhead?