Cheap spare tire bump stops?

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
So I went to go put a spare on the back of my TJ today and realized there aren’t any of the rubber bump stops on there. Figured I’d just go pick a couple up but they’re $10 each, and they aren’t even the correct length since I had to install a different carrier to fit my tires. Lots of tips for how to extend the stock stops, but not many’s suggestions for ways to avoid buying stupidity overpriced pieces of rubber. Thoughts?

Usually people use the stock bumpers and then space them out with drilled out hockey pucks, PVC pipe, or similar, and longer bolts of course.

Reactions: Fonz54
Usually people use the stock bumpers and then space them out with drilled out hockey pucks, PVC pipe, or similar, and longer bolts of course.
I saw that and that was exactly my plan until I realized I didn’t have the stock bumpers. I just have a hard time shelling out $40 for a couple small pieces of rubber.

I saw that and that was exactly my plan until I realized I didn’t have the stock bumpers. I just have a hard time shelling out $40 for a couple small pieces of rubber.

Mine only has 3 from the factory. I had to buy new ones and it was $30, but that doesn't seem terrible to me.

Maybe someone with a better alternative will chime in.

I used PVC pipes and covered them with electrical tape. barely $1 in material? and looks pretty good although you cant even see the spacers

I just put a BFG 31/10.5R15 on my stock spare carrier. the stock bump stops hit way early. the bottom one is trying to push the tailgate out. Has anyone ever reduced the length?

Reactions: chili_pepper
I just put a BFG 31/10.5R15 on my stock spare carrier. the stock bump stops hit way early. the bottom one is trying to push the tailgate out. Has anyone ever reduced the length?
I used hockey pucks because my spare would not fit properly when I changed the spare from a steel wheel to a Ravine wheel. They are cheap like four for $9 or something like that on Amazon.

I used washers on the bolts of the tire carrier to space it away from the bumpers on the body.

Last edited:

I had the same size tire on my stock tire carrier for a little while, but I had the opposite problem as my snubbers didn't touch the tire. This was due to my wheels having 3.75 inches of backspacing verses whatever the factory Ravine wheels had (5.5 inches, I think). I bought some extra snubbers and cut them down with a hacksaw to fill in the gaps I had.

If you put the snubbers in a vice with the height you need even with the top of the vise, the vise jaws will make a good guide so that you get a clean, even cut. Cut the outer end of them, not the base. You don't want to cut off the area inside the snubber that the wash/bolt head sits on. Also, don't cut them too short.

IMG_3962.JPG

Reactions: chili_pepper
I had the same size tire on my stock tire carrier for a little while, but I had the opposite problem as my snubbers didn't touch the tire. This was due to my wheels having 3.75 inches of backspacing verses whatever the factory Ravine wheels had (5.5 inches, I think). I bought some extra snubbers and cut them down with a hacksaw to fill in the gaps I had.

If you put the snubbers in a vice with the height you need even with the top of the vise, the vise jaws will make a good guide so that you get a clean, even cut. Cut the outer end of them, not the base. You don't want to cut off the area inside the snubber that the wash/bolt head sits on. Also, don't cut them too short.

View attachment 185066
Great solution! I'm guessing you stack the snubbers (love the name) and use a longer bolt to connect them to the tailgate? If so, is the hardware enough to keep them together or did you apply an adhesive as well? I really like your idea and will probably go this direction as well.

Yes, stacked and I didn‘t use any adhesives, just longer bolts. If I remember correctly, all I could find in my loca hardware store that was longer were Allen head bolts. They worked fine. I only had it like that for less than a year before going to a swing out tire carrier. When I took it all apart it didn’t appear that anything was out of alignment with the snubbers.

Yes, patience and a right angle die grinder with a roloc disc. Smells like you're at the drags and you get covered with rubber dust, but it works well. I have the same tires on factory Ravines. Worked out pretty well and allowed me to remove just enough so as to still get support for the wheel/tire when closed.

If you run the wheel on tight it will tweak the tailgate a bit when closed. The shop that swapped the tires for me did just that...as opposed to letting me know and putting it in the back... :cautious: