Check engine light on, rough idle on and off

Nicholas

TJ Enthusiast
Recently since about 2 or 3 weeks ago I’ve hit an array of problems, or one problem. My idling has begun to start going on an on and off streak of extra roughness, as well as when doing so, my power level changes. I will press the gas and get going sluggish for a second or two or three and then it’s like I jump back into my normal power, but sometimes it’s opposite, letting off the throttle while it will immediately jump back into its rpms. Then on top of when it’s doing this, and only when it’s occurring I’ll start to smell fumes, or gas. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely seems like the fuel smell is a good clue. I'd look for a slow fuel leaks when the system is under pressure, follow you nose. When it gets cooler, this is often when we notice fuel leaks since hoses, clamps, and fittings are contracting. Or, it could be an injector o-ring. The theory, if you have a tiny fuel leak, fuel pressure drops under load and this causes the engine (or a cylinder depending on where the leak is) to stumble when the injector(s) aren't delivering and atomizing fuel as they should. After it catches back up, the stumbling stops.

Otherwise, if your fuel smell isn't coming from a fuel leak, then it could be coming from unspent fuel in the cylinder that comes out the exhaust, and that would send you down another path of troubleshooting.

Definitely seems like the fuel smell is a good clue. I'd look for a slow fuel leaks when the system is under pressure, follow you nose. When it gets cooler, this is often when we notice fuel leaks since hoses, clamps, and fittings are contracting. Or, it could be an injector o-ring. The theory, if you have a tiny fuel leak, fuel pressure drops under load and this causes the engine (or a cylinder depending on where the leak is) to stumble when the injector(s) aren't delivering and atomizing fuel as they should. After it catches back up, the stumbling stops.

Otherwise, if your fuel smell isn't coming from a fuel leak, then it could be coming from unspent fuel in the cylinder that comes out the exhaust, and that would send you down another path of troubleshooting.

Okay thank you for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk