Check engine light won't go away after replacing sensors

Adam K

The check engine light is on in my 2006 TJ 2.5l and it's indicating there is a bad cam censor and crank censor. Both have been replaced along with the timing belt but the light won't go off. Is this indicative of bigger problems? Has anyone had anything similar happen? This is my first TJ and my knowledge is very limited.

What brand of sensors did you replace them with?

If you didn't use OE Mopar sensors, that is likely your issue right there.

It's a well known fact that when you use aftermarket sensors on these Jeeps, the check engine light will not go away. The aftermarket sensors you buy at local auto part stores are grade A garbage.

Again, this is a well known issue with our Jeeps.

Very good info! I will check with the mechanic. Thanks for the knowledge, I’ll be sure to avoid aftermarket sensors moving forward.

No problem at all!

Yep, always use Mopar sensors, and when it comes to the O2 sensors, only use NGK / NTK replacements (which is the OE supplier to Mopar for O2 sensors), as that's another known issue as well (y)

The check engine light is on in my 2006 TJ 2.5l and it's indicating there is a bad cam censor and crank censor. Both have been replaced along with the timing belt but the light won't go off. Is this indicative of bigger problems? Has anyone had anything similar happen? This is my first TJ and my knowledge is very limited.
How much have you driven your Jeep since replacing all that? Check Engine lights seldom go off very quickly after replacing a bad sensor, it can take a while. Resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery's negative connector for 2-3 minutes will immediately reset the CEL and turn the light off, though if the problem still exists the CEL will turn back on.

So, I just bought the Jeep a week ago and haven't even received it yet. The dealer (a trustworthy guy who's offered to give me my money back if I want it) bought it at auction and the port to get the codes (I don't know the proper term for this) was smashed and the check engine light was on. When I bought it, it was understood that this would be fixed and whatever issue was causing the check engine light to be on would be fixed. Fast forward a week and two different mechanics (a Napa mechanic and Jeep dealer) both cannot determine why the light won't go off after replacing the cam and crank sensors and the timing belt. They all think it's not a big deal but I'm trying to determine if I should move forward or not.

Am i naive to think that one of those mechanics would have gone through the process of unhooking the battery or is that not a safe assumption?

Assuming it was a mechanic that knew what they were doing, they would have simply cleared the codes with their OBDII reader when they were done doing the work.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I decided to go with another TJ that doesn’t have these issues. I’m looking forward to using this forum to learn all about it!
Good call. I was wondering how a OBDII port gets smashed.

Reactions: Web98
Word to the wise. I have a TJ 05, on three seperate occassions CEL came on, engine started chugging and instrument panel went flat. The shop indicates I have a bad O2 sensor and the cam position sensor is bad .
$350.00 later and CEL is still coming on. Giving it time and come to find out I had a control wire at the starter that was breaking off.
The second CEL, this time I had a corroded headlight connector. The third CEL the starter was going bad.
Each time the CEL turned off by itself.
IMHO CEL warnings are bogus and will make you spend money for nothing . Don't rely on finding from the shop . My two cents!