Check engine lights are a government conspiracy

JoshNZ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
As I spend a lot of time on US based forums and groups, and a lot of time watching US based car vids on YouTube. I see plenty and plenty of occasions where the "dreaded check engine light" comes on.
The funny thing is, I've owned dozens of cars, most of which have been in sub-optimal condition and I can't recall ever actually having my CEL on.

I drove my Jeep for months with the EVAP system disconnected (from the PO) with no CEL - but did have a fault code stored.

I recently replaced the timing belt in my MK4 golf, when I started it, I'd missed a vacuum hose and had a big air leak. The car ran like absolute crap, I logged multiple misfires within 30 seconds (like 40 on cylinder 4), timing advance was oscillating around 0* CEL was lit up. I stopped the car, found and reconnected the hose, fired it up and CEL went off.

I had a coil go bad on a newer Audi - logged misfire faults but no CEL

Faulty coolant temp on a Toyota MR2 - gauge was all over the place - no CEL...

Most of these cars were ex Japan and imported to New Zealand, so I've decided that the threshold for CEL is much much lower on these Japan spec cars.
Which means (I guess because of CARB and emissions) your US spec cars throw CELs all the time?

Don't know if either is better, I think I'd prefer to know earlier.. but I guess if the manufacturer decides its not yet a problem, why should I worry?

Also, one NZ spec TJ ECU for sale. High CEL threshold to help in passing SMOG ;)

The gov't is absolutely all over OBDII, and CARB was responsible for setting the standard for US cars in '96. Japan, Europe, & Australia all have their own versions. I don't have anything on what is different about thresholds between our OBDII monitors and other countries, that would be interesting to know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Back in the late 90s and early 00s the spread between countires was a lot bigger than it is now.

EX:
The gen 1 insight, JDM models had lean burn on the CVT, 1 cat, no rear o2 sensor.
JDM 2nd gen miata's had different intake/exhaust manifolds, higher redlines, and a few other minor tweaks.

In the US the check engine light is an emissions device. It’s to notify of a problem with emissions equipment and nothing more. Makes sense that it would act differently in different countries.

In the US the check engine light is an emissions device. It’s to notify of a problem with emissions equipment and nothing more. Makes sense that it would act differently in different countries.

You might have missed this thread: Chrysler is going Insane. We could probably add unless it's added into the emissions equipment, which still seems insane to me.