Checklist for a 3" lift

Low gears are better both on and off road. There is no downside. You are trying to convince yourself that poor performance is normal for a Jeep. It doesn't need to be that way.
I found over years of gear swaps that people thought what they had was great, until a re-gear then it became obvious that is wasn't so great after all.

Reactions: jjvw
I’m not trying to convince myself of anything! I know what a Jeep is, maybe you need some education??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok. Educate me, please. What is your preferred rpm for the final drive at 75mph? :)

Reactions: MikeO
Ok. Educate me, please.

I have rented/driven several stock Rubicon’s. I would argue that stock Jeeps have the optimum gearing. Before buying my Rubicon I test drove 4 stock Jeeps, 3 jK’s and 1 stock TJ. Based on that baseline, I still say my lifted Rubicon with 4:10 gears and 33’s is fine for me. I have had it at Moab so I have crawled it and I drive it every day on the highway. If my gearing with an auto was constantly having to down shift , or hunt, to maintain speed, I would agree, but it’s fine. Have you owned and driven the same configuration?

Reactions: Mike Jolley
... I would argue that stock Jeeps have the optimum gearing. .... Based on that baseline, I still say my lifted Rubicon with 4:10 gears and 33’s is fine for me....

Are you saying that 31s/4.10 is the same as 33s/4.10? What is that optimum rpm?

...Before buying my Rubicon I test drove 4 stock Jeeps, 3 jK’s and 1 stock TJ. ...
Comparisons to JKs don't count, btw. Different engine.

... Have you owned and driven the same configuration?

Yep. With stock gearing, stock sized tires were better. :)

Are you saying that 31s/4.10 is the same as 33s/4.10? What is that optimum rpm?

Comparisons to JKs don't count, btw. Different engine.

Yep. With stock gearing, stock sized tires were better. :)

You can say that you didn’t like the gearing, but that comment is no more valid than me saying I don’t have an issue. Agree to disagree. You are a kid, so I get it, and yes I’m an old fart that has been driving all kinds of rigs long, long before you were born.

I don't really think I'll be needing them, but if that's the size they come in, don't have much of a choice, do I? lol

Why not run the BFG KO2 in 32X11.50? It's a good compromise and you wouldn't need to regear. If you don't have 15" wheels now, a set of 15's is way way cheaper than regearing.

You can say that you didn’t like the gearing, but that comment is no more valid than me saying I don’t have an issue. Agree to disagree. You are a kid, so I get it, and yes I’m an old fart that has been driving all kinds of rigs long, long before you were born.

You just didn't play the "old fart" card, did you? Come on brah! I've owned my TJ for 13 years. I'm no spring chicken, so I can't fit in the "young" category, but having gone from the stock 30" tire to 31's, then 32's, and now 33's, I can tell you the performance drop as I increased in tire size was noticeable. I ran the 33's on 3.73's with the 5 speed for over a year before re-gearing, so I can't argue with you on the differences between it and the auto, but I can tell you, without a doubt, that re-gearing to fit the 33's with my setup was very significant. I re-geared just before driving to Moab for a week of wheeling, and the performance increase was amazing. I daily drive my TJ, so little nuances are significant to me.

Reactions: jmm45 and jjvw
You just didn't play the "old fart" card, did you? Come on brah! I've owned my TJ for 13 years. I'm no spring chicken, so I can't fit in the "young" category, but having gone from the stock 30" tire to 31's, then 32's, and now 33's, I can tell you the performance drop as I increased in tire size was noticeable. I ran the 33's on 3.73's with the 5 speed for over a year before re-gearing, so I can't argue with you on the differences between it and the auto, but I can tell you, without a doubt, that re-gearing to fit the 33's with my setup was very significant. I re-geared just before driving to Moab for a week of wheeling, and the performance increase was amazing. I daily drive my TJ, so little nuances are significant to me.

Soooo only certain opinions are worth noting? I don’t find my gearing a problem, that’s my opinion. If guys feel the need to spend 2k for a bit of a gear reduction, then fine but I crawl mine and drive it on the highway and I’m not having a problem.

Reactions: Thunderhead
@CybrSlydr. Have you taken the Jeep where you are going to wheel it? If not, the order is
1. Go there...
2. Report back...

It will really help you see what you’ll be facing and if your build will be around 31’s, 32’s, 33’s or 35’s.

It can also be helpful to get in touch with some other local Jeepers and get their two cents, since they are building for the same territory/trails

Soooo only certain opinions are worth noting? I don’t find my gearing a problem, that’s my opinion. If guys feel the need to spend 2k for a bit of a gear reduction, then fine but I crawl mine and drive it on the highway and I’m not having a problem.

It's all good Larry. Your opinions are certainly notable, and welcomed, IMO. I'm glad your setup works for you, and it's good that the OP can note there are choices. I was just a little offput by your "I'm old and know more than you young'ins" bullshit. Just because you are older doesn't mean you know better.

Opinion noted. I understand - A guy I work with has 33's and the stock 4.10s in his 05 Rubicon and has no complaints at all - but he has a manual transmission. If he had the auto, he may not feel the same. He seemed surprised when I said I was putting 4.88's in my LJ to run 33's. But, the difference is in the overdrive gear. The 0.69:1 overdrive in the 42RLE is a big contributor to the need for the big reduction. The NSG370 that he had was only a 0.84:1 reduction in 6th. Way different and probably part of why the 4.10:1 final drive didn't bother him. When I told him the overdrive ratio of the auto and how it compared to the NSG370; he seemed to be more understanding.

I think the point is - to maintain stock feel with larger tires; you should re-gear. You may be okay with the feel and performance without re-gearing (and that's perfectly fine). What constitutes acceptable performance is subjective and there is no right or wrong.

Also - if you are very mechanically inclined and are willing to risk it; you can always regear yourself - that's what I did. :)

Reactions: Kathy and skrelnik
Opinion noted. I understand - A guy I work with has 33's and the stock 4.10s in his 05 Rubicon and has no complaints at all - but he has a manual transmission. If he had the auto, he may not feel the same. He seemed surprised when I said I was putting 4.88's in my LJ to run 33's. But, the difference is in the overdrive gear. The 0.69:1 overdrive in the 42RLE is a big contributor to the need for the big reduction. The NSG370 that he had was only a 0.84:1 reduction in 6th. Way different and probably part of why the 4.10:1 final drive didn't bother him. When I told him the overdrive ratio of the auto and how it compared to the NSG370; he seemed to be more understanding.

I think the point is - to maintain stock feel with larger tires; you should re-gear. You may be okay with the feel and performance without re-gearing (and that's perfectly fine). What constitutes acceptable performance is subjective and there is no right or wrong.

Also - if you are very mechanically inclined and are willing to risk it; you can always regear yourself - that's what I did. :)

Finally a good perspective.

Reactions: Thunderhead
It's all good Larry. Your opinions are certainly notable, and welcomed, IMO. I'm glad your setup works for you, and it's good that the OP can note there are choices. I was just a little offput by your "I'm old and know more than you young'ins" bullshit. Just because you are older doesn't mean you know better.

So Bob you take exception to my life experience, but felt the need to make your point by indicating you have owned your Jeep for 13 YEARS. Given your criticism of my age reference and your assessment that I must think I know better, then why is your 13 years of Jeep ownership any different? You were trying to prove you have Years of experience on the subject that should make your point more relevant. I have been driving all kinds of vehicles since the 60’s and because of those years of experience, I can assure you or anyone else I know what tall gearing feels like. Bull shit my ass.

So Bob you take exception to my life experience, but felt the need to make your point by indicating you have owned your Jeep for 13 YEARS. Given your criticism of my age reference and your assessment that I must think I know better, then why is your 13 years of Jeep ownership any different? You were trying to prove you have Years of experience on the subject that should make your point more relevant. I have been driving all kinds of vehicles since the 60’s and because of those years of experience, I can assure you or anyone else I know what tall gearing feels like. Bull shit my ass.

Ok Dad, I'll go to my room now.

You guys just crack my ass right up and down the middle! Man, do I always have to break up the fight? Speaking of breakin up fights, I did that once in high school and got a free pizza. Pretty cool life experience, huh!?

Reactions: Rob5589
That wasn’t a fight, but I’m glad he’s in a safe space now [emoji4]

I’m on 32’s 4:10 auto. Driving here in the valley no big deal. It scoots if I punch it. Going through Tahoe and Truckee and Reno it’s a dog.
Your response was dick-ish but aren’t we all a bunch of swinging dicks

Reactions: Rob5589
Boils down to, whatcha don't know.... Everyone knows the rest.

Don't sweat it JB, we're the same age if I recall and I feel fairly young, most of the time :D