Cheeto - 2006 Impact Orange LJ Rubicon - bringing her back to glory

Sponge

Supporting Member
I am a life long Jeep nut...grew up at my grandparents Jeep/AMC/IH/Chrysler dealership - still have my 1st CJ-7 (restored), currently have a 21 Grand Cherokee L as my daily, and have owned 3 XJ's, 1 WJ, 1 ZJ, & 1 WK.

This is my first 'Wrangler' and I think the end of great era in Jeep's just like my 86 CJ-7

Just a simple recap/journal of the rebuild of a tired old LJR for my kids to do trail rides, off-road, and learn to work on old cars with me. This is for my family and I hope you enjoy the journey.

My kids named it Cheeto...vanity plate to be ordered once the below is done

Didn't do a great job taking pictures from the start of this adventure so decided to start this to help me remember and my kids and I can look back at and laugh a long time from now

I bought it in Mississippi and drove it back to Chicago with my Dad...a fun little road trip.

I did have it gone thru by a local shop before I flew to Mississippi, but I should have asked more questions before this adventure...like what type of exhaust does it have :LOL:

Bought Sept. 2022
- 6 speed
- purrs like a kitten - no oil drips or leaks
- A very tired factory suspension, faded orginal soft top, shot exhaust
- NO rust - anywhere...why I bought it in Mississippi and drove it back to Chicago

Work done so far:
- Fluid Film under coat - keep the rust away in this salt belt it now lives in
- Rebuilt rear axle (Attitude Performance) Ring & Pinion, Shafts
- New Eaton Rear Locker - factory locker was not fxning
- New rear brakes
- New exhaust
- New Oil Sending Unit
- New Brake Slave Cylinder
- New Kenwood in dash radio/screen to prevent her backing into another car...:rolleyes:
- Bartact Seat covers
- Bed Rug (great product)
- New hood
- New flares
- 3" BDS Suspension w/Fox Shocks

Needs:
- Install spare tire reinforcment & bracket
- Fix front seats to fold forward better
- Speakers are due for replacement
- Paint - no rust but tons of scratches, chips, and wear that it will if I don't do something
- Tires - Fall
- A/C - maybe never

Day 1.JPG

Somewhere in Mississippi - fun drive with Dad, hot & loud...lots of laughs
IMG_4061.jpeg

Drive home - early start on day 2 in KY/IL border area...70mph all day smooth as silk
IMG_4068.jpeg

First day home - tore out the carpet (bad shape) and several hours of cleaning...this Rubicon earned its keep on dusty back roads of Mississippi.
IMG_7611.JPEG

Driveway is crowded...CJ-7 is the only one that gets the garage...that's my Dad's Trailhawk Cherokee
IMG_4078.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice looking Rubie. Good luck on your near term upgrades. I just bought a 2005 LJ and have basically the same upgrade approach. I will be following so please post your upgrade events.

Reactions: Sponge