Chip Foose and the Jeep Cherokee XJ

I NEED a 2 door Cherokee before they really skyrocket in prices. ;)

I looked hard for a clean XJ prior to giving up and settling on a TJ. I like the utility of a wagon, but on the trail my XJ buddies take a lot of body damage it seems. Mostly fenders and quarters. Trail can be tight here. Its fun to watch the JK/JL guys make 12 point turns.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
The picture he used for reference looks just like my wife's XJ, though hers is a '96, and what he used was a '97 or newer. Still, seeing this makes me glad we haven't sold hers. It's awaiting some repairs (has developed a shake that isn't quite a death wobble, but it's alarming, nonetheless). Anyways, thanks for posting that video, @Irishguy. (y)

I wish I could have kept my 99' XJ when I bought back my Rubicon just over a month ago. I paid $3,000 for it stock with 130,000 miles. I lost money selling it for $7,000 (lifted on 33s) with 157,000 miles.. The 17 year kid old got a well maintained Jeep.
XJ 4 8 3.jpg
XJ 1 26 2020 best.jpg

Last edited:
Two problems with the XJ. Unibody construction and, like the 85 and earlier Toyota pickups, kids got a hold of most of them. Finding one that isn't a clapped out poorly "built" turd is tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepZilla380
When I bought my wife's for her, I paid $3,500 for it with 102,000 miles on it. It was bone stock ('cept for some heavily tinted windows), as it was a former public utilities vehicle. I actually had to talk the wife into getting the 2-door. We now have 180,000 miles on it, and she's still in love with the little rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hog and Apparition
I had one. Never missed a lick. Great vehicle for the money. Great for a starting family.

I've got my Son's 98 XJ to tinker with now and get ready for him to take off to college. When he's out of the house might seriously hunt a 2 door to play with. But yea, they are getting hard to find not all chopped up.

My daughter picked up an 89 XJ earlier this year. She's still in the planning/saving money stage but she has some good ideas about where she wants to go with it. The fender flares looked like they had been chewed on by a bear, so she pulled them off right away, still deciding whether to replace them with OEM or aftermarket. All it takes is money, right?

20190928_162007.jpg

My daughter picked up an 89 XJ earlier this year. She's still in the planning/saving money stage but she has some good ideas about where she wants to go with it. The fender flares looked like they had been chewed on by a bear, so she pulled them off right away, still deciding whether to replace them with OEM or aftermarket. All it takes is money, right?

View attachment 180081

Wow, thats a great looking 89! Congrats. Yea, plenty of parts still out there for these Jeeps.

I love how Foose sketches with a pen.

I'm on my third XJ. I bought a 1990 Laredo 4 dr. new at the end of 1989 and had it for 5 years. I bought 1995 2 dr. Sport in 2010 and replaced it with a 1989 2 dr. Limited in 2017 that I plan to keep it for a looooong time. It came with the original paper work. It was purchased new by a guy that worked in the Jeep assembly plant in Brampton, Ontario and he got a 15% employee's discount on it. All three of my XJ's were sold new at the same dealership in Toronto.

19-03-21 3.JPG