Choosing an Infotainment System for a TJ

Wombat

TJ Enthusiast
Choosing an infotainment system for Your TJ.
wp_20181010_14_25_02_pro-jpg.jpg
When recently purchasing and installing an IS (infotainment system) in my 2001 TJ I was awestruck with the sheer scope of options available from CD players, mp3 and streaming services to TPMS and on board diagnostic connections, all this before you start browsing the apps store for an app that automatically finds you the cheapest gas closest to your current location. It was at about this point I realized just how much I've been missing out on and It can be overwhelming trying to figure it all out so I decided I would attempt to connect every possible option

I will do a new thread on "how to install", but I haven't finished installing all the options yet - with OBD2, dash cam and RC bracket to complete the job - to an OEM standard. I need to do more research on how deep an OBD2 transmitter can go with a 2001 TJ before I get the transmitter from the below website at the end of this post and I need to save more money.

So meanwhile, those thinking about updating to a double DIN IS might wanna get a coffee and have a read.

I got quite a shock to discover a high end name brand IS with GPS, DVD and TPMS including all the necessary video and other ports/inputs was going to set me back from $1100 to $2000! Eventually I found a small importer in my neighbourhood that brings out generic units (I went with the $700 version), that I've seen branded as Clarion with all the options and a RC (reverse camera), so I went with that, mainly because I'm new to IS's and wanted to be able to get quick help with connecting anything I mightn't understand and I also thought it would be handy if I had any future warranty issues.

Don't be afraid to compare other units, we all have requirements as diverse as the TJ itself.

Whatever IS you decide on it will be somewhat outdated by the time you get it installed with all the features, apps and settings configured to your satisfaction. It's ridiculously complicated so as I'm new to this I thought I should post what I've figured out so far and hopefully other members will weigh in with what they know to help with an appropriate choice.

Cost Vs options
So, we all want a reverse camera right? What about a crash cam? Physical controls like a volume knob? CD & DVD player? Standalone GPS chip? TPMS? Screen size & resolution? AUX input for a second camera? We all want that on the big rock trails right? Apple carplay or Android auto? What about rear screens to entertain you back passengers? Properly not in a TJ but you get the point, a lot to consider before you buy. It's no good spending $150 on a cheap unit, then later wanting to connect an option that it may not support.

Reverse camera
I hear this a lot... "TJ's are easy to reverse into a car park so why install a reverse camera?".
  • All too often someone tragically reverses over someone else and statistically it's most likely to be a very young child or someone close to you.
  • I've noticed less stress reverse parking with the assistance of a RC, I don't suggest relying on the RC alone to park but it's the second eye we all need.
  • On the trail it sure is nice to know I'm not backing into a tree stump (done that before), or large rock.
  • Most IS come with a RC as a selling point these days so you should have no problem finding the unit that suits you that comes with one included in the cost so it's almost free.

Dash/Crash cam
I like the idea of video evidence in the case of any accident, for any law abiding citizen it's a great asset and it can even be a great deterrent.

A few months back some knob behind me, beeping me for not completing a turn that I would had to of run down a lady pushing a pram to complete, I'm guessing he didn't see her but then he overtook me, slams on the brakes, gets out to road rage on me. I pointed at the dash cam and he just got back in his car and drove away, while on the subject of knobs...

Volume knob
Another must have for me is the volume knob, it's a convenience but like the DVD/CD it's disappearing fast to make room for larger screens on the next gen IS head units so if you like a knob? You might want to buy sometime soon.

CD & DVD player
So far as sound quality go's, CD/DVD will in almost all situations deliver better quality then mp3, the same for streaming services despite radio and streaming services using incredibly high quality compression to counter the quality drop. Good compression can trick the untrained ear into thinking you're listening to high quality when your not.

In all reality there is little use for a DVD/CD player in today's world, let alone a IS, particularly when you can play mp3's from a USB device without any skipping on corrugations. Still, there are some that will have an extensive collection of DVD/CD's to make use of but again, they are disappearing pretty fast so if you want one included in you IS package then you might want to start looking around now.

Standalone GPS chip
Another must have for me as I intend to get far enough off the beaten track to actually need a GPS, With an on board GPS chip you always have accurate speed and navigation information fed back to applications that help you avoid the traffic, speed cameras and other little nasties no matter where you are or whether you have any data left on your phone or not, so that's nice. You can expect this option to be expensive as it's mostly only available on mid to high end IS units that can cost twice as much.

TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)
To connect a Tire Pressure Monitoring System to your IS you need to choose a TPMS that uses an android app to output it's information to your IS and be sure your IS has a spare data link connecter input (DLC) to connect the TPMS receiver.

Screen size & resolution
I have a 6.2 inch 1024x600 Capacitive Screen which I think just means it's just like the screen on your phone. You can get up to a 7 inch screen but you might not get physical controls and as for resolution, I'm not so sure it matters that much as I have ended up running my unit at about 800 x 400 to make it somewhat easier to read.

AUX ins and outs
My unit has a ton of AUX inputs and outputs for expanding video and sound...
WP_20181010_11_28_49_Pro.jpg

I'm guessing you could set up extra cameras for watching the rocks underneath and or create a cinema set up with a big screen for camping, none of which I'll probably ever get around to doing.

Wi-Fi & Bluetooth
Most IS seem to have Wi-Fi & Bluetooth. I use the Wi-Fi to connect Spotify to free hotspots and you can use BT to connect your phone but most of us will connect their phone through USB to make use of the very popular Apple carplay or Android Auto. You'll need BT if you're planning to receive information from things like an OBD2 transmitter
71-ET0FhAkL._SL200_.jpg

or a portable BT device like an ipad.

USB/SD
Make sure your unit supports USB Apple carplay & Android Auto. There should be at least two USB ports, one for mp3, mp4, mpeg4, or wma files and one specifically for Apple carplay & Android Auto, make sure it supports both. Most IS also have one or two SD slots that support the same file formats for saving files that you always want to have onboard access to but it's not a necessary option in my opinion but some may want to make use of it.

Apps
OK, I could do a thread on apps available for Android Auto alone so I'm not going to go there accept to say there are some nice apps called launchers that can help a lot with navigating you're IS, however, those with fat fingers will struggle even with a 7 inch screen. You can select a lower resolution and large text to try and make it little easier but I believe there is plenty of room for improvement here.
That said, even the OEM's are still finding their feet in this realm. Despite having huge screens, Volvo, Lexus and the Bavarian Money Wasters have all produced some absolute crap IS in some of their top vehicles, so too have Toyota. It's early days yet and I'm confident future updates will sort out much of Android Auto's operating systems short falls and oversights as it's open sauce, as for the pre mentioned vehicles, who cares

Conclusions
I first thought touch screen infotainment systems in cars were nothing but an added distraction but I was wrong. It's like anything else with life, you must use it wisely.
Having all this tech in a TJ is gold! Contrary to my first belief GPS, voice recognition, google maps, Android Auto, Spotify, and my trusty reverse camera all come together to make my day safer, easier and more enjoyable than ever thought possible in my old TJ.

The IS from Brash Imports is super fast to start up and does so before I can get into 1st gear. The Wi-Fi is only 3G but here in Australia we have pretty shit network bandwidths that tend to get congested but I have had no issues at all, spotify streaming on hi bandwidth works flawlessly as do Youtube videos, you name it! I'm happy with it including voice recognition screen readability in bright situation with the top off, it's pretty much the same as a good quality phone and the sound and loudness is a little better than the Dealer's aftermarket single DIN Alpine 6 stacker it replaced, good enough to delay a power amp with sub that this unit will support

All the applications on this unit have been tested to check that they work as described with adequate and matching ports in the hardware where required and at this point I can vouch for that with the exception of the Dash Cam and OBD2 sensor advertised on the website

As for the burning question that many people want to know the answer to, which is better...

...Apple carplay or Android Auto?
It seems to me that Android Auto is winning that war at this point in time, that might change but I doubt it will anytime soon. While Apple carplay looks morel fancy with nice icons it doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to voice recognition witch is all that matters when your driving in demanding conditions. Apple's Siri might work well on apple devices but Android Auto uses google assistant which is far superior to what Siri can comprehend, particularly on an Android device Google assist clearly has a deeper understanding, it's blatantly obvious when compared side by side.

These things are full blown Linux PC's with fancy GUI but finding your way round can be a daunting experience, particularly if you're stupid enough to try and do so when driving, so don't be a Muppet! Only use basic functionality unless stationary. At least until you get your head well and truly around how to navigate and even then it's best done at the traffic lights... where you might find me... goofing off with a touch screen infotainment system waiting for the lights to go greener.

traffic-lights-green-forest-lake-hd-01.jpg

—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

David Brash Imports
brashimports.com.au

The unit installed in the Jeep TJ 2001 4.0L Sport - from Brash Imports (Modifications are required)
Link to the Infotainment System that fits a Jeep TJ

You can call David on (03) 9 5 2 3 8 8 9 9
You will get a quicker response by emailing him at
[email protected]
David has been quick & helpful over email sorting out any issues I had with connecting all the features mention in this thread and more.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

THE PRODUCT BELOW IS NOT! AVAILABLE FROM BRASH IMPORTS

Link to the dashboard bezel pictured in this thread from Amazon
Double Din Car Stereo Install Kit Fits Jeep Wrangler 1997-2002

61MmZyivzsL._SL1023_.jpg

51TKshbKAhL._SL1030_.jpg

More info to come...

Last edited:
Were you able to locate an IS with Windows 8.0? I am looking for a solution to upload my DSP software onto a head unit rather than bringing my laptop into the car to run the DSP software and program the audio.

As much as I love Windows, I love Linux better but OMFG if I ever have to deal with a "Windows Metro" screen in an infotainment system I swear I'll rage quit driving... Forever!

Although it's not much help I did find microsoft-windows-in-the-car-concept

Thanks for that link but I need a true version of Windows 8.0 in order to run the DSP software.

HERE but you'll need a key

I was hoping to avoid that method and was wishing someone like yourself could find a head unit with windows 8.0 or 7.0. My old laptop is fine to use, so I may get creative and pull a Fast and Furious which had a computer concealed under the passenger seat cushion. Probably not gonna happen, but wishful thinking on my part.

Do you have any pictures of the installed/finished product? I am hoping that the install is flush and somewhat low profile.

Do you have any pictures of the installed/finished product?

THIS POST has a few photos of the (almost) finished job

I installed the newer 4 switch bezel from morris 4x4 centre so I could lose the hole where the ashtray used to be and gain another power outlet.

Unlike other installs this one does not interfere with the heater ducts on my 2001 and honestly it's perfect! It looks OME and fits without modding, bending, melting or cutting anything, except for...
  • Cutting out the shelf separating the radio from the HVAC module - an easy job.
  • The top tray needs to be removed and hot glued to the new bezel - Removing the top tray is the hardest part but if you take your time you won't damage it.
dashboard bezel pictured in this thread from Amazon
If you planning to do it, get the dashboard bezel and start by removing your old radio and the tray from the old bezel, then fit the tray to the new bezel ready to install the head unit.

WP_20180929_16_12_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20181001_23_20_33_Pro.jpg

I'm planing a "how to" with better photos, hopefully before christmas.

Excellent write up! I had no idea they made something like this for the TJ. I've been looking at an upgrade for the JK, but like you said it's insanely expensive.

Reactions: Wombat
THIS POST has a few photos of the (almost) finished job

I installed the newer 4 switch bezel from morris 4x4 centre so I could lose the hole where the ashtray used to be and gain another power outlet.

Unlike other installs this one does not interfere with the heater ducts on my 2001 and honestly it's perfect! It looks OME and fits without modding, bending, melting or cutting anything, except for...
  • Cutting out the shelf separating the radio from the HVAC module - an easy job.
  • The top tray needs to be removed and hot glued to the new bezel - Removing the top tray is the hardest part but if you take your time you won't damage it.
If you planning to do it, get the dashboard bezel and start by removing your old radio and the tray from the old bezel, then fit the tray to the new bezel ready to install the head unit.

View attachment 62779
View attachment 62780

I'm planing a "how to" with better photos, hopefully before christmas.

That looks awesome. Thanks for showing me. I guess it is time to order one.

Reactions: Wombat
At this point I've left all my antennas (Wi-Fi, GPS, TPMS) in the glove box so I can test them and I wanted to see if they all work under the dash. I can report that they do work ok in this position, which means if you don't want to run wires they [antennas] will work just about anywhere you want to mount them.

My GPS antenna has a magnetic backing plate so you can temporarily mount it and when I put it up on the top of the windscreen frame, just behind the sun visor it finds the satellites quicker and shows a stronger signal then the glove box, no surprise there.

I was thinking on the bonnet would be the best place but I can't be bothered with all the work required to do that

Last edited:
At this point I've left all my antennas (Wi-Fi, GPS, TPMS) in the glove box so I can test them and I wanted to see if they all work under the dash. I can report that they do work ok in this position, which means if you don't want to run wires they [antennas] will work just about anywhere you want to mount them.

My GPS antenna has a magnetic backing plate so you can temporarily mount it and when I put it up on the top of the windscreen frame, just behind the sun visor it finds the satellites quicker and shows a stronger signal then the glove box, no surprise there.

I was thinking on the bonnet would be the best place but I can't be bothered with all the work required to do that

Thanks for the reply. Just a heads up. I put both the GPS and Sirius XM antennas on top of the roll bar and they work great.

We even zipped them up under the roll bar wrapper, running the wire along the back roll bar to the side. Then we continued the wire along the driver's side roll bar. Loosening the plastic near the windshield the wire continued until we dropped it in the dash.

GPS and Sirius XM antennas on top of the roll bar. We even zipped them up under the roll bar wrapper, running the wire along the back roll bar to the side. Then we continued the wire along the driver's side roll bar. Loosening the plastic near the windshield the wire continued until we dropped it in the dash.
This thread is worthless without pics

Nice work! I might try that spot but on a scale of 1-10 how much fun are you having installing an IS with all the features?

I'm still going - yesterday I repositioned the reverse camera to work properly with the spare tire so I don't need to disconnect it when removing the wheel, just like the JK, I will include this in MY TK BUILD thread

IMG_0045 - Copy.JPG

I fabricated a bracket from some scrap aluminum, I love doing this stuff, measuring, cutting, grinding, drilling, screwing and then brewing!

More love today, I hope to get time to tidy up the wiring so this time it's, cutting, striping, routing, fluxing, soldering and testing...

IMG_0048 - Copy.JPG

Pickaboo!
IMG_0046 - Copy.JPG

A great option for full screen head units in a Jeep. Is an android or windows unit direct from China. Cost is $150. So you won't cry if it gets ripped off. And it does just about everything you'd want for a Jeep. At about the tenth of the cost. Or easily a quarter. Most advanced head units stateside - name brand - run $800-$1200. That's not something you want left laying in your Jeep.

I researched inexpensive ($200 or less head units. You'll be amazed at what you can get for $200 or less.) android and windows head units last year for my GMC Yukon. As I didn't want to worry about a $1200 head unit sitting in my car. (Which makes this recommendation great for Jeep owners. As for $200 or less. I think I paid $140. I got nearly every function of a $800-$1200 name brand head unit. In a unit that I wasn't going to cry if it got ripped off.)

I found a great company overseas at www.eincar.com It's a very slow clunky site. Be patient. It's worth it. They do have customer service and did reply promptly to my inquiries after I bricked a unit by setting the resolution to a non supported resolution. Well I didn't brick it. But it was easier to just buy a new unit. Than wait for it to be sent back to me. Although they were perfectly willing to take it back and repair it. Even though I was the one that messed it up. I should have just stuck with what my stereo installers did. But I had to go mess around unlocking settings I had no business screwing with.

So good customer service. Although based overseas. So response times can be off due to time changes. And there is a slight language barrier. But I took my unit to a stereo install shop. And they had no problem getting me installed and up and running within 45 minutes to an hour or so. Including back up cam. Eincar units come with alot of freebies like backup cameras. But I chose to buy backup cam, mounting plate/bezel and wiring harness for my Yukon from Amazon. Price was less than another $40. Maybe even cheaper. And supplied those to my installer.

Eincar has a HUGE number of offerings. With great complete clear specs for each unit. They are all made in China head units. But if you peruse YT you'll see a number of aftermarket units that look exactly the same. With great reviews. Just different badging. That perform well enough against their $800-$1200 competitors. That it's a no brainer for a Jeep. Or any other car you're worried about the head unit being ripped off.

I don't recall what if any functions I did not get from the $140 Eincar unit that I could have gotten on a Kenwood $1000 unit. But it wasn't enough for me to care. And even at 95% say of a full functioning $1000 head unit. I was pleased to find it at $140. Most are even set up to read your OBD codes, external gps antenna, etc. etc.. They will play DVDs. And you can set up a remote screen elsewhere in the car. Which may have been the thing these lack IIRC- the ability to set up like 2 to 4 additional screens like on the back of headrest etc. But in a jeep that's not really an issue. No real need for back seat screens and the like. Although I think mine you could do 1 additional screen. But like said, I didn't care about that function. And in my Jeep I certainly don't.

So that's the one big thing your missing is the ability to run 4 screens simultaneously. Some of the newer big name units can play different things on different monitors too. Like a video on one and music on another. Things like that. But again. On a Jeep you really only need the head unit itself. And that's where the savings is. And the ability to run a head unit that your not gonna have to worry about getting ripped off. Eincar also sells stereos with removable faceplates.

I ran the unit for over a year and half. And loved it. If you tether it to your phone. (Which once you do that with simple on screen menus. It automatically mates each time you walk up to your car.) Your phone acts like a hot spot and you can receive anything from the internet on it's 7" screen. Youtube, Google anything. They make units in just about any size. And you can find the appropriate bezel (if necessary) on Amazon for very cheap.

The thing I used most was the music and the backup cam. Tethered easily to my phone either by wire or bluetooth. And came on playing music quickly after start. Not a huge lag or anything. I also got one with external dial type knobs. As I wanted something analog in my 4 wheel drive Yukon. Which I would think you might want in a Jeep too.

All told it was around $250 installed. Maybe $300. I think the parts were less than $200 and the install either $75 or $100. It was a hood installer. Not Al & Ed's by any means. But it's a $140 head unit. I didn't feel like I needed $500 in installation services. And I didn't. I actually had them install both units. The first one I messed up. And the second one that ended up staying in the vehicle. And I only had one minor backup light issue. That they promptly fixed.

I don't see myself putting another one in my Jeep. As I'm sort of minimalist when it comes to my Jeep. The less wires the better. Although I'm probably using all the same wires with my removable faceplate stereo as I would be with a full screen head unit. Except maybe the back up cam wire.

SO even if your just considering a backup camera. Those typically can run in the $150 range with a small monitor of some sort up front. Far better to buy a complete 6" of 7" head unit and have that put in with all the bells and whistles. Same wiring harness (you buy an adapter that plugs the unit right into the stereo wiring harness on your car.). You could probably easily put this in yourself if your good with a dremel for fitting the bezel. The rest is pretty much plug and play. I mean if those morons at my stereo shop can do it. Anybody can. lol.

(The launch screen is also customizable. They come preloaded with every major car makes logo. I'm sure Jeep is in there. And Chrysler.)

20170328_103153.jpg

Reactions: TJ Rubicus and JLLJ
Nice write and thanks for outlining all this. Just to share another source would be ATOTO A6. I found that this Android platform hits all the key points and flexibility I wanted. I installed it is motor couch a few months ago and works so well, I'm looking at one for my jeep. This will allow me to install all trails and US Topo maps using the built in gps when off the grid. It cost around 200 and I've used their support a few time and they have provided solutions to meet my instation and connection needs to intergrate my existing audio multimedia needs.
One challenge I ran into is trying to securely install a 2din so it does not rattle lose but the mounting kit you outline looks very promising.

Reactions: Chris
Were you able to locate an IS with Windows 8.0? I am looking for a solution to upload my DSP software onto a head unit rather than bringing my laptop into the car to run the DSP software and program the audio.
I was looking at 10 inch screen upgrades (because, you need that right?) the other day and I remembered you were looking for a windows OS, SEE HERE

Reactions: skrelnik