Chris' Modern Bluegrass Thread

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
For as long as I can remember I've been a huge fan of Bluegrass music (I even took up playing the banjo because of it). While anyone who listens to Bluegrass knows of Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs, and all the classic Bluegrass music, we've all heard that. The purpose of this thread is to share good "modern Bluegrass" music, bands that many of us may not have heard of. I happen to have a pretty good collection of what I consider to be modern Bluegrass (I like the modern sound even better than the old stuff), so I'm going to share some of it in this thread and encourage others to do the same.

@Squatch, some of this I shared with you, but a lot of it I didn't. You may dig some of it (y)

Unspoken Tradition:

Junior Sisk:

Amanda Cook:

Balsalm Range:

Flashback:

Nothin' Fancy:

Claybank:

Shannon Slaughter:

The Steel Drivers:

Saweet!! I got something to listen to tomorrow for sure. Steeldriver may not necessarily be modern bluegrass but DANG love me some Chris Stapleton but everyone else is new to me.

Ive been downloading Tyler Childers to my brain lately. Old crow and trampled by turtles are probably my favorite modern bluegrass.

Also Dierks bentley "up on the ridge" album is a GREAT take on country bluegrass.

Reactions: Hog and tworley
I love me some banjo!

It was Garcia, Grisman, and Rice pizza tapes that had me seeing the light.

Reactions: Chris
Chris Stapleton is one of my favs. Also really been digging in Tyler Childers lately. I don't really consider them bluegrass though, more modern "outlaw" country.

I'll give some of the other stuff a listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hog
The White Buffalo, Forrest Rangers, i have a ton more on my spotify but my phone is in my bedroom lol

Edit:

The Dead South
Harley's Studio Band
The Pine Box Boys
Shawn James
The Devil Makes Three

Last edited:
Billy Strings is the closest thing to true modern bluegrass. Man can pick a guitar for sure!!

I busted out my phone a few times this quarantine to make some songs. Have you guys been making modern bluegrass also? I am mostly working on fiddle these days but still like to pick and sing also.

Here is my modernized take on Ralph Stanley's version of O'Death. Who of you got turned onto bluegrass via O'Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack?

Trampled by turtles, three tall pines, and town mountain are a few i have on my playlists.

Steeldrivers/Chris stapleton are one of my favorites
Yes on all of the above. When town mountain brings out Tyler Childers they do their best work:

Three Tall Pines don't get enough credit IMO. The problem with bluegrass is it can all sound pretty similar but three tall pines does a fantastic job of being unique and great songwriters. All that's left is an absolutely stacked album. Check out Blue Pontiac:

Not listed yet, The Rubber Knife Gang. These guys are unique also. I prefer this stuff to straight grass.

I'm a huge fan of great harmonies. Flatt Lonesome make some beautiful vocal bluegrass and great musicians also.

I working my way through the above list. So much good music. Thanks for sharing.

This is quickly turning into one of my favorite threads...We're gonna have to find a bluegrass festival to coincide with the Moab trip! LOL

I'll bring my banjo, we just need someone to bring a mandolin, guitar, stand-up bass, and a fiddle! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Hog and B00mb00m
I can play rhythm. If we really wanna do bluegrass, we need a dulcimer!

Would be nice to have a Dobro and a slide as well (y)

I'd have to get another mandolin, but the first time I picked one up I was surprisingly good at it. I suspect some of that may come from playing guitar.

Watching thread, thanks for all of those recommendations @Chris . I wasn't familiar with any of them except for Steeldrivers.

I was exposed to traditional bluegrass from an early age. Didn't get back into bluegrass until I found Hot Rize, which I'd describe as 'new' since it's got electric bass and the banjo player uses some mild effects on some tunes. Their instrumentals and harmony vocal singing are incredible.

I've not been able to get in to jam grass much but I've seen Billy Strings a few times and enjoyed it.

Reactions: Chris
Watching thread, thanks for all of those recommendations @Chris . I wasn't familiar with any of them except for Steeldrivers.

I was exposed to traditional bluegrass from an early age. Didn't get back into bluegrass until I found Hot Rize, which I'd describe as 'new' since it's got electric bass and the banjo player uses some mild effects on some tunes. Their instrumentals and harmony vocal singing are incredible.

I've not been able to get in to jam grass much but I've seen Billy Strings a few times and enjoyed it.
Hot Rize sounds great BUT I don't think I can support the electric bass, it's just ain't right! Lol

Reactions: RMETeeJay and Chris