Chrysler is going insane

Boinked

TJ Expert
Apparently Chrysler has made the blower motor part of the emission system. Yep now if your blower motor doesn't work you can fail the emissions.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Apparently Chrysler has made the blower motor part of the emission system. Yep now if your blower motor doesn't work you can fail the emissions.

Not sure why that is insane. What about hydroboost? Your brakes run off of the steering pump. No pump, no brakes. Lots of hydraulic cooling fans. Lose steering pump, lose cooling. I don't see it any worse than the Transit Connect start stop bullshit. That can't be good for the starter. What about the TJ TPS going through the clock spring?

The automotive industry has been combining more and more stuff to eliminate parts for a very long time. Peek under the hood of an older car. Very few things on the accessory drive shared a belt. Harmonic balancer pulleys have several v-grooves for all the separate belts. Now we have one belt run in a serpentine fashion that runs all the accessories. Engineering advances, stuff gets condensed, it generally is not a deal breaker and as long as it isn't some super top secret shit that no one can learn about, not a big deal and certainly not a sign of insanity.

Reactions: Byhumba and D M
Not sure why that is insane. What about hydroboost? Your brakes run off of the steering pump. No pump, no brakes. Lots of hydraulic cooling fans. Lose steering pump, lose cooling. I don't see it any worse than the Transit Connect start stop bullshit. That can't be good for the starter. What about the TJ TPS going through the clock spring?

The automotive industry has been combining more and more stuff to eliminate parts for a very long time. Peek under the hood of an older car. Very few things on the accessory drive shared a belt. Harmonic balancer pulleys have several v-grooves for all the separate belts. Now we have one belt run in a serpentine fashion that runs all the accessories. Engineering advances, stuff gets condensed, it generally is not a deal breaker and as long as it isn't some super top secret shit that no one can learn about, not a big deal and certainly not a sign of insanity.
It is not the idea of the ecm being able to find and display problems. I have a problem with the system that makes a comfort item fail emissions standards. Forcing you to replace it to register the car in most states. If

Reactions: 89grand and J R
It's like failing your emissions test if your power window motor goes out. I thought emissions tests tested emissions. They don't do them here and only want to see your car if it was purchased out of state. You drive in, they look at from a distance, to check a couple VIN points, and sign your paper. If you buy one in state all you need is a title. They don't care to even see the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal
Im glad CO is just that, emissions. They put a sniffer up to your exhaust and measure what comes out. They dont look for anything else.

I can't see a vehicle failing emissions due to a body control module code...CEL on or not. I'll have to talk to my Smog guy

I can't see a vehicle failing emissions due to a body control module code...CEL on or not. I'll have to talk to my Smog guy
My '08 Libby has had the tire pressure sensor light on for about 3 years (they went bad). I refuse to pay for something that a my foot can test for when checking tire pressure. Lol. It passes emissions fine and I have never been asked to get that fixed even by my dealer.

A CEL will fail emissions here for diesel not sure about gas but I would assume so. The county I live in doesn't test emissions but where I work they do and my diesel truck had a CEL and it failed for that.

If they tested here for emissions half the vehicles would fail. Everyone's got a rust bucket winter beater with a CEL on, most of them were for evap failures due to bitter cold temps and gravel dust. For some people that's their only car. Electrical circuit integration and tighter parameters will gut the used car market in 10 years when the slightest out of range issue causes the vehicle to go into limp mode. That will disproportionately affect the poor, but don't tell the big city Dems that, they think buses will be the transportation savior.

Don't even get me started about all the road lanes they are taking to put in bike lanes that are covered in ice and snow 6 months of the year, all in the name of cutting emissions. Nope, just creates more traffic congestion.

Reactions: matkal
Isn't the real question here, how often do Chrysler blower motors fail? I've had my share of 20-25 year old cars from other makes, all of them on their original blowers. Either it's nothing worth worrying about, because you'll be 15+ DEQ re-ups down the road, or Chrysler needs to build significantly better blowers.

absolutely !! crazy !! so many stupid design choices today. so many different systems over lapping each other.

On my 15 year old TJ, if the Daytime Running Light Module fails.... the Daytime Running Lights TURN ON.... even if it is parked with the key in my pocket.

You have to love the 4 cylinder JL start/stop mechanics. A 48volt lithium battery which has a coolant loop thru it to keep it warm, and an AC loop thru it to keep it cool. All plumbed under the chassis to the battery behind the drivers seat. The alternator is also the starter which might be a great idea but now there are coolant lines and AC lines running under the chassis to keep the 48volt battery at peak operating temperature.

Give it another 20 years and your failed emissions system will ping the next available transmitter installed at a traffic light or highway overpass to alert the local jurisdiction of your non-compliance.

Reactions: 89grand