CJ Double Steering Joint

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I kind of have a CJ5/7 but its a Fiero on a CJ chassis with a Chevy 4.3 with a boat carb and TH350 that I picked up a few weekends ago. The steering shaft angle is too much for the stock steering coupler at the steering box. It keeps popping the retainer out when I steer. Does any one know where to get a double u-joint that will replace the stock steering coupler? I know its a 13/16x36 at the box but its a round at the end of the shaft. Is there something where I can use the pin that the block pieces go on to press through the joint. I dont know CJs so dont know where to look. I would rather not weld on a steering u joint for future serviceability.

E13B17F4-643C-48BF-8057-EE750EEB1250.jpeg

I kind of have a CJ5/7 but its a Fiero on a CJ chassis with a Chevy 4.3 with a boat carb and TH350 that I picked up a few weekends ago. The steering shaft angle is too much for the stock steering coupler at the steering box. It keeps popping the retainer out when I steer. Does any one know where to get a double u-joint that will replace the stock steering coupler? I know its a 13/16x36 at the box but its a round at the end of the shaft. Is there something where I can use the pin that the block pieces go on to press through the joint. I dont know CJs so dont know where to look. I would rather not weld on a steering u joint for future serviceability.

View attachment 179198
I'd look into a "street rod" type of application. Check out Speedway Motors, for instance. They might have something like what you're looking for.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/steering-shaft-u-joints~14-15-574-31185

I think this defies all forum categories. Earth's first Fiero off road build thread.

Proud it happened here.

No joke, I met a 57 Chevy Convertible on 40's the other night ...I looked in disbelief.

No joke, I met a 57 Chevy Convertible on 40's the other night ...I looked in disbelief.
Talk about destroying the value of a car. On some vehicles, I applaud their builder's desire to want something different. I've seen Gremlins, Opel GTs, Monte Carlos, El Caminos, Camaros, a '64 Impala, and a Mustang all get hacked up for the conversion. But a Tri-Five Chevy convertible? That's sacrilege!

Reactions: AndyG
Talk about destroying the value of a car. On some vehicles, I applaud their builder's desire to want something different. I've seen Gremlins, Opel GTs, Monte Carlos, El Caminos, Camaros, a '64 Impala, and a Mustang all get hacked up for the conversion. But a Tri-Five Chevy convertible? That's sacrilege!
Man it was bizarre. Really was.

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch
Wish I could say I built it but I didnt. But I will make it better! I have enough parts to 5.3 swap it with little to no money. Already have a harness and computer that was in a running driving 6.0 swapped XJ I have (the XJ was going to be my drag racer with a built TH400 but rona hit so 1000hp build on hold) Just need to move the radiator to the back original engine bay area and use a condeser fan from a BMW partout. Weld a sump to the fuel tank and run an inline 255 and done.

As far as my steering issue I think I will put an XJ box in it since there are more u-joints available for that size input. Pitman spline size is the same I believe as well. The XJ arm is also lower so I can give it a lift and keep the steering stock, what ever that means on this.

Reactions: Squatch
Wish I could say I built it but I didnt. But I will make it better! I have enough parts to 5.3 swap it with little to no money. Already have a harness and computer that was in a running driving 6.0 swapped XJ I have (the XJ was going to be my drag racer with a built TH400 but rona hit so 1000hp build on hold) Just need to move the radiator to the back original engine bay area and use a condeser fan from a BMW partout. Weld a sump to the fuel tank and run an inline 255 and done.

As far as my steering issue I think I will put an XJ box in it since there are more u-joints available for that size input. Pitman spline size is the same I believe as well. The XJ arm is also lower so I can give it a lift and keep the steering stock, what ever that means on this.
It ought to be a hoot to drive, that's for sure!