CJ hardtop on TJ?

indio

TJ Enthusiast
I was browsing TJ images, and noticed this 1997 TJ for sale - with what looks like a CJ hardtop. Didn't think a CJ hardtop would fit a TJ. And actually looking closer, the fit seems off in several places.

I'm surprised the owner was able to attach a CJ hardtop at all, especially where it attaches to the windshield. I guess anything can be made to fit in a pinch, given enough leverage. :)

CJhardtopOnTJ.jpg

https://www.bayerdodge.com/inventor...-sport-4wd-2d-sport-utility-1j4fy19s8vp437847

Where it attaches to the top of the windshield has to be modified. That’s it.

It has a latch bottom middle of the back window. It’s for a CJ7/YJ.

Yep the proportions and contours look like an exact match of my stock CJ hardtop. So probably one of those CJ/YJ tops grafted. As you suggested, the owner probably made some modification to the windshield frame area to fit. Apparently I could have saved myself some cash instead of buying a used TJ hardtop, and re-used my CJ hardtop.

The mismatch is at the windshield. It isn't a good fit, but it has been made to work. I have always thought is was neat that it works a well as it does for two vehicles 20 years apart.

Looks like the door closure needs to come up a good half inch to fit the door properly. But that would throw the latch off then.