CJ style turn signals added to the TJ grill

Flivver250

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I have a pair of CJ turn signals I'm going to add the grill of the TJ. I like the looks, only reason. Well another reason is because I can. I have to cut a 3.5 inch hole in the grill for the lights to recess/fit. Here is the question I'm pondering. As it requires I buy a tool to do a clean job, which to buy? The $290.00 Makita cordless nibbler or the $110.00 carbide hole saw? The nibblers cut up to 16 gauge which should do the trick and the tool would be a good weapon to have in my arsenal. The carbide hole saw may be a simpler endeavor, but doubt I'd ever use it again. Thoughts? Other options?

Just measure like ten times!

IMG_6458.jpeg

Reactions: billiebob
100% with Brokeass. Even a cheap Harbor Freight hole saw is good for more than 2 holes in sheetmetal. I'd just add to put the starter hole in the center first. This way you have perfect visibility to be sure you are centered dead nutz. Then use the hole saw with the center arbor in the pilot hole. 👍

Reactions: Mumblewood
I believe @jscherb has turn signal deletes on (one of) his...
Not on any of my Jeeps, but I made up turn signal delete plates as a test, there's one on the black fender in these photos of a front clip mockup with my new grille overlay.

TurnSignalBlakingPlate2_zpsmitcs5cw.jpg

TurnSignalBlakingPlate3_zpszguyuear.jpg

They bolt in place of the factory turn signals and can be painted with rattle can touch-up paint to match. Here's one off the fender:

TurnSignalBlakingPlate1_zpslilnujng.jpg

While the are a bit visible on the fenders, considering they bolt in place and don't require any bodywork or mods to the fenders, and considering there are other visible body seams at various places on the Jeep, I think they're a good solution for moving turn signals from the fenders to the grille.

Reactions: reddvltj