CJ turn signals on TJ

lowranger

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I really like the look of the CJ turn signals on the grill of the TJ with the signals on the fenders removed. But looks like it would be a little pricy if you don't know how to do your own body work of the fenders.
I would go with the original looking CJ turn signals.
Has anyone done this?
cjstyle.jpg

I really like the look of the CJ turn signals on the grill of the TJ with the signals on the fenders removed. But looks like it would be a little pricy if you don't know how to do your own body work of the fenders.
Has anyone done this?View attachment 61710

Plus one, there was a guy on here that has done this and he shared a video that actually had downloadable templates. I will see if I can find the video, and post it, but I am headed into a meeting first.

Full discloser the video used the new orange JK lenses, but I bet you could do it with any you want.

Link to video:

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal and Squatch
I've seen where a lot of people move the turn signals to the grill from a JK or other type when they are putting rock crawler type front fenders on. Haven't seen much where you keep the stock fenders, fill in where the stock turn signals were and move the turn signals to the grill.

I've seen where a lot of people move the turn signals to the grill from a JK or other type when they are putting rock crawler type front fenders on. Haven't seen much where you keep the stock fenders, fill in where the stock turn signals were and move the turn signals to the grill.
I am with you I have never been a fan of the turn signals in the fender. I always wondered if YJ fenders would fit or be close, but I have never tried. I think you could fill the hole and smooth it out, but the paint alone might make the price not worth it just for aesthetics. I am a little surprised more people aren't doing it other than it is probably way too expensive for vanity.

It's easily done with nothing more than a 3 1/8" steel hole saw and a pair of JK turn signal enclosures, I did mine years ago. JK front turn signal enclosures fit the 3 1/8" hole perfectly. The TJ's front turn signal bulb enclosures fit the JK turn signal enclosures perfectly.

If you get serious and are ready to do this, I have a few additional tidbits to make the mounting of the JK enclosures easy so they don't require anything additional to old them in place. The enclosures can be made to twist-lock into place with no extra hardware required.

These photos are from my previous TJ but I did the same thing on my current TJ.

CIMG3720.JPG
CIMG3721.JPG

GrillBigHoleTouchup.jpg

DriversSideNewCJLightLit.jpg

Edited to add another photo of the large 3 1/8" hole to show the notches cut into it for the ribs on the bulb enclosure to fit into.

I like this a lot too. The JK side markers are the way to go. The size and little details are more appropriate to the TJ then the older CJ lights.

Reactions: TJRick and Sam Solo
I don't know I am tied, I can't tell what one I like better. I like the CJ because it has a border. I do like the orange lens but a yellowish orange bulb behind that CJ lens would be pretty cool too. I think I would like the JK lens better if it had a black frame maybe. I do love the painted flat fenders though on @Jerry Bransford's old Jeep. Nice and clean!

I plan on adding turn signals from a JK to the grill but rather then filling the rectangular holes in the fenders ill fabricate diamond plate armor that will cover them (as shown in the attached concept pic).

Well , that's the plan anyhow...

2000 TJ Sport Road Map.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer the lenses in the top pic, with the ones in the second pic being my least favorite. Love the filled-in full fenders. Being that I have the Sahara, and thusly, the body color flares, I believe it will give the general appearance of an overall wider fender. That's fine for me, but I suspect some might feel it leans toward looking like a JK fender, at that point. Being that I prefer the body color flares, I'm okay with that.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I also went with JK signals, following Jerry's excellent write up many years ago.
Practically plug and play.....besides taking a hole saw to the grill!!!

20170703_114646_zpsyhdkfmse.jpg

received_10214052017634159_zpscp2fey0w.jpg

Reactions: Squatch
You like the JK and dislike the CJ.
Ouch! That hurt just to read it. Not so much the thought of liking something from the JK, but of disliking something from the CJ. Seems counter to my general way of looking at things. Hmmm...

Anyway, the reason #2 is my least favorite is they're so large that it crowds the headlights. Makes the grill look overly busy. Of course, being that the rig has all the extra auxiliary lighting, as well, maybe that's affecting how I'm seeing it. (shrug)