CJ vs Tree

wigsajumper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
During our fall Northeastern a tree on my property decided to make itself comfortable on my old CJ7. Wife is a little upset. She helped me buy it when I was deployed and we were just dating. She test drove it, took it to a mechanic, sent me tons of images. It had been sitting for about 9 years unused while life happened. It stopped running one day and I parked it covered. Always planned to do a restromod it eventually. Wife wants to keep it and fix it up one day. I guess I need to check out the frame and see how it is holding up against rust. As it is windshield frame needs to be replaced, side panel and fender straightened/replaced, hood fix/replaced.

Opinions? Now not sure what to do. Keep it? Scrap it?
IMG_20191021_175023.jpg

That’s a huge shame, I’d still keep it for the resto someday. They’re an awesome part of American history.

I'm with the rest of the clan. Keep it, and make its resurrection a part of the "life" that's happening now. Get the wife involved with it, too. The end result would be lots of "wins" all around!

This is an unfortunate reminder to keep eyes out for widow makers. We used to have to clear trees annually around the house in the foothills.

I have a spot in my heart for cj’s....I’ve had 5....traded an 83 with 13,000 miles for a yj about 1987 ....still have no idea what I was thinking. Regretted it ever since . The TJ fills the void ...I contend its the CJ ,refined. Up til about 83-84, they were marvelously simple , then after that they tried to meet emissions standards via a vacuum line mess you have to see to believe.

Get that tree gone and get that thing cleaned up and show it off on here man . Hate that happened , I know it’s a drag .

Keep it and restrore it as a true 'Survivor ' Jeep ;) (plus it would make for a great story when you get it back on the road again.)
You can even name it "woody' hehe

Thanks all. Decided I will hang on to it. Even if I end up replacing every body panel and eventually the frame it is still my first Jeep.

@Squatch Yes that is an XJ parked in front of it. My wife's 99 XJ with 2x6 steel replacing the rust prone rocker panels. Currently waiting for me to replace the rusted out driver's side rear leaf spring mount. We are a jeep family. Parked next to the CJ out of frame is a 98? manual XJ with the AX5 or 15 (cant remember right now. The manual transmission that is semi direct bolt up to the 258 in the CJ. Also eventually plan on turning it into a fuel injection 258 using the xj.

@Dilly Dilly oh that tree is getting turned into firewood. Going to really enjoy sitting by the fire and watching it burn.

@rasband I have been slowly clearing out all the poplar and birches around my house. In my area they seem to grow to a certain point and then just dying.

I really need to build a garage so I can work on these projects during the winter months.

Reactions: Squatch