CJ5 prices

Wrebel0728

Been digging deeper in trying to find a cj. What is a reasonable price for one. I understand there a lot of factors. But I have seen them all over the map. I found one around 25k looked to be in great shape. Is that what I should be expecting?

Been digging deeper in trying to find a cj. What is a reasonable price for one. I understand there a lot of factors. But I have seen them all over the map. I found one around 25k looked to be in great shape. Is that what I should be expecting?
It would have to be incredible for that price- I’ve had 2 and won’t ever buy one again- they just aren’t that good, too unstable and the curve by the door kills ya- they will range from 2500 to 30k.

CJ's are my favorites after the TJ, I have had more CJ's.

The only way I can see 25k for one is it to be completely restored. I see them around here from 2500 to 20,000

I recently paid a little over 13K for a 82 CJ7 with a AMC 401 (early 70's vintage engine with high compression). The electrical system was toast but the body, tub and frame were in near new shape. 2 owners....

I've put about 3K into it to get it re-wired, new carpet, gauges, lights/lenses all the way around, updated correct seats and a new top.

All in all mechanically it was in great shape. A few electrical gremlins and when I pulled on that string I saw enough issues with the insulation on the wiring to start over entirely.

So... I looked for a year. I found a lot of CJs that looked good but when you got under them you saw the issues. This one was a little different. Good shape and appearance but the body/frame were great. I looked at CJ's all the way up to $25K. By the time I'm done I'll have 20 in it is my guess.

Here's what I would consider as a reference.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...m=email&utm_campaign=bat_listing_started_user
It sold for a little more than $25k, but the level of effort and detail on the build are off the charts. Here's the build thread.

Reactions: Wrebel0728
This one is insured for 25,000. It is awesome.

AC3CB2E9-25C4-4E7A-AEC3-58915D9F8B20.jpeg

2x to everything above. Listings vary from restored ones in the high teens to low 20's, absolute rust buckets in the 2-3k range. I think the sweet spot is somewhere around the 5-7k range, it seems like there are some mostly together rigs listed at that. It really all depends on what you are wanting out of it. If you're looking for a big project then you can definitely find people's abandoned projects for ~3k with a truckload of extra parts they never got around to installing.

I paid $3100 for a 1957 CJ5 sight unseen (idiot). I knew it would need some work, it turned into a complete restoration. Broken frame, trashed body, a ton of machine work on the engine. 7 years and about $6k later I have a running chassis and about 25% of the body work completed.
Would I do it again knowing what I know now? Hell yes it’s been a fun/frustrating odyssey.
When I get some time I’ll start a thread with some pics.

I've seen this one around for a few years, never in motion. If I hadn't just bought a low mile LJR I'd probably look closely.
I didn't think a Renegade came with anything other than a V8 tho'.??

1984 cj7
2 inch rough Country lift
ARB air lockers
Locking hubs on all 4
4.2 liter 4 speed
$15000 obo.
Pm for any more details

CJ7.jpg

Here's one for sale not too far from me. 10x what I paid for one in the past. I might go see it in person just to have something to shake my head about . Even if it's perfect why spend that much for a car cruise queen that needs dusted every weekend?
IMG_20211203_090725_hdr.jpg