Clean, low mileage Rubicon for sale (oh wait... that's glwood's!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what happened. Keep in mind that I had posted in my for sale thread that I had gotten an offer from a local dealer, who I've dealt with many times before, both for parts and for service on the '03 X I owned previously. His offer was generous, actually more than I paid for the Rubicon back in 2016. I knew, however, I could get more by selling it myself.

Then, also keep in mind that the member from out of town agreed to buy the TJ, backed out, then agreed the next day to buy it after all. I was glad to go ahead with the sale. He flew in to Albuquerque on Friday, we took the TJ to a shop, drove home to my house and completed the sale. That's when I posted the Jeep was sold. I was so glad it was over, as during all the on again off again sale process I was wondering to myself whether to just keep it. Then when it finally sold, I felt that was the answer I needed.

The best laid plans of mice and men...not 20 minutes after the buyer left to head back to Texas, happy as a clam with his newly acquired mint 2004 TJ Rubicon, the Jeep picked that point in time to manifest a mechanical issue that I never experienced in the 3 years I owned it, and would have bet my last dollar never would have for another 100k miles, if then...

Long story short, I could not in good conscience go through with the sale to a first time TJ buyer. We undid the sale, and with both of us extremely disappointed with the outcome, and he got a flight back to Texas. Now I was faced with what to do next. Try and diagnose the problem, take it somewhere to be looked at, throw money and parts at the problem, and hope I could get it solved and ready for sale again?

I decided to call the dealer and find out if he still wanted the TJ. He did, for the same offer, so up there I went. I told the dealer what the ex-buyer had described as happening, and had finally manifested when I drove it up there, and he was not concerned, and said he would drive it, check it out thoroughly, and take care of whatever needed to be done. He paid me, I left him the Jeep and the title, and I left with my wife.

The dealer who bought the Rubicon is the one you see in the ad above. Could I have done things different? Sure. But I had resigned myself that the Jeep had already sold, and I didn't want to go through trying to figure out the issue, try and fix it, then go through this whole process again. It was an ending I could live with.

Here's what happened. Keep in mind that I had posted in my for sale thread that I had gotten an offer from a local dealer, who I've dealt with many times before, both for parts and for service on the '03 X I owned previously. His offer was generous, actually more than I paid for the Rubicon back in 2016. I knew, however, I could get more by selling it myself.

Then, also keep in mind that the member from out of town agreed to buy the TJ, backed out, then agreed the next day to buy it after all. I was glad to go ahead with the sale. He flew in to Albuquerque on Friday, we took the TJ to a shop, drove home to my house and completed the sale. That's when I posted the Jeep was sold. I was so glad it was over, as during all the on again off again sale process I was wondering to myself whether to just keep it. Then when it finally sold, I felt that was the answer I needed.

The best laid plans of mice and men...not 20 minutes after the buyer left to head back to Texas, happy as a clam with his newly acquired mint 2004 TJ Rubicon, the Jeep picked that point in time to manifest a mechanical issue that I never experienced in the 3 years I owned it, and would have bet my last dollar never would have for another 100k miles, if then...

Long story short, I could not in good conscience go through with the sale to a first time TJ buyer. We undid the sale, and with both of us extremely disappointed with the outcome, and he got a flight back to Texas. Now I was faced with what to do next. Try and diagnose the problem, take it somewhere to be looked at, throw money and parts at the problem, and hope I could get it solved and ready for sale again?

I decided to call the dealer and find out if he still wanted the TJ. He did, for the same offer, so up there I went. I told the dealer what the ex-buyer had described as happening, and had finally manifested when I drove it up there, and he was not concerned, and said he would drive it, check it out thoroughly, and take care of whatever needed to be done. He paid me, I left him the Jeep and the title, and I left with my wife.

The dealer who bought the Rubicon is the one you see in the ad above. Could I have done things different? Sure. But I had resigned myself that the Jeep had already sold, and I didn't want to go through trying to figure out the issue, try and fix it, then go through this whole process again. It was an ending I could live with.

Man, it sucks that you had to go through all that for selling your beautiful Jeep. Seriously! I completely understand why you did what you did and I would have done the same.

I absolutely did not intend to have you explain in this much detail. Very sorry if I did anything wrong. I only tagged you because I really thought your buyer flipped it and it made me upset thinking he put you through that much trouble and ended up selling it. You have a good conscience and you did the right thing all the way through. Hope whoever buys that silver TJR treats it well.

Wish you good luck in whatever vehicle you choose next.

ps: your avatar status makes me 😢

It happens. I sold my '96 Cherokee to a guy that complained a couple of weeks later that the CEL came on. I owned it five years with one CEL that was for the front O2 sensor. I replaced it and never had another for the next three years. This guy buys the XJ off of me and gets a CEL two weeks later. In my case, I had already used the money on parts for my TJ, so I couldn't offer him compensation. Kudos to glwood for agreeing to buy back the TJ when he was in no way bound to do such a thing.

Man, it sucks that you had to go through all that for selling your beautiful Jeep. Seriously! I completely understand why you did what you did and I would have done the same.

I absolutely did not intend to have you explain in this much detail. Very sorry if I did anything wrong. I only tagged you because I really thought your buyer flipped it and it made me upset thinking he put you through that much trouble and ended up selling it. You have a good conscience and you did the right thing all the way through. Hope whoever buys that silver TJR treats it well.

Wish you good luck in whatever vehicle you choose next.

ps: your avatar status makes me 😢
No problem, don't worry about it. I was content to leave it at "Jeep sold", but should have known that when the dealer posted an ad, the Jeeps for sale bloodhounds would find it (and they did!) :cautious:🤪

Enquiring minds want to know. What type of mechanical issue popped up?

Status
Not open for further replies.