Clearcoat Failure: Tips for Different SprayMax 2k Options?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm re-painting my steel American Racing 767s, using the SEM Landau black that so many of us use to match factory black. But then I tried SprayMax 2k Clear Luster on top of that, and I do not like how 'wet' it looks.

Does anyone have any experience with the SprayMax 2k "Semi Matte"? I don't necessarily want it to look too matte (the Landau Black by itself, for instance, looks pretty dull and boring on wheels, IMO), but this Clear Glamour is just too 'glistening'. I guess I want something in between.

Thanks for any tips.

Also, any tips for getting some of the luster off the one wheel that I've now clearcoated with the Clear Glamour? I was thinking I might wet-sand it a bit. Or what would happen if I put a matte clearcoat over it? Sounds like a bad idea for some reason.

I should probably post some pics to help this make sense.

Well, if anyone comes across this thread, I've found the gloss 'ratings' for the three different SprayMax Clear Coat 2k products. Screenshot below with product numbers at the top.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.22.52.png

Also, any tips for getting some of the luster off the one wheel that I've now clearcoated with the Clear Glamour? I was thinking I might wet-sand it a bit. Or what would happen if I put a matte clearcoat over it? Sounds like a bad idea for some reason.

I should probably post some pics to help this make sense.
I totally botched the clear on my half doors this summer and had to do it again. I still used spraymax 2k clear glamor but the paint shop told me to wet sand at 400 grit and I could respray from there. I would expect the same advice if I was changing to a different finish, as wet sanded 400 seemed about the same as uncleared base coat.

Nice, thanks. I may try that then. For now, I've ordered SprayMax 2k "Semi-Gloss", which I posted above as part number 680067. But I did already use the "clear glamour" on my spare, so might try your advice on that wheel.