Cleghorn Ridge fire road, Southern, CA

Richyrich

Supporting Member
Cleghorn Ridge fire road, Sothern CA
An easy fire road with a bunch of off-shoots that can be really difficult.
Pretty new to jeep off-road stuff, so I mostly stuck to the main road and didn't take any of the difficult stuff.
Really fun just getting used to the old TJ!

IMG_9475.jpeg

IMG_9453.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

Lots of cool tails up there.
You can pretty much go from Silverwood Lake all the way to the back side of Big Bear over to Pioneer Town near Yucca Valley.

Cleghorn is where we go for a shakedown run or a short wheeling day. New guys will pucker a bit on some of the extras until they find out what their Jeeps can do. It's surprising what some people will take out there.

Reactions: B252
Cleghorn is where we go for a shakedown run or a short wheeling day. New guys will pucker a bit on some of the extras until they find out what their Jeeps can do. It's surprising what some people will take out there.
my brother did a couple extras in his 4 door in the pictures. There was definitely some pucker just watching him do it.
After reading that the side trails are known for cars rolling I wasn't willing to test fate until i'm more confident.

Another thing to consider is joining an Adopt-A-Trail crew. Those trails consist of Easy, Moderate and Most Difficult.
When I lived in Crestline, I was with the MyJeepRocks crew and we maintained 3N93, Holcomb Cr. Trail, which is rated MD.
I was one of the guy's that drug a beat up Toyota bed trailer over the gatekeepers to relocate the smaller (rock stacker)
rocks to places where the trail needed shoring up.

Another thing to consider is joining an Adopt-A-Trail crew. Those trails consist of Easy, Moderate and Most Difficult.
When I lived in Crestline, I was with the MyJeepRocks crew and we maintained 3N93, Holcomb Cr. Trail, which is rated MD.
I was one of the guy's that drug a beat up Toyota bed trailer over the gatekeepers to relocate the smaller (rock stacker)
rocks to places where the trail needed shoring up.
That's amazing! I didn't know that was a thing that people did. hopefully you got a lot of good trail karma from that.

Reactions: alittleoff
Thanks and I do believe that it does give back good vibes to everyone that involves themselves in good trail manners.
And it can be anything from picking up some loose trash to putting in a full day of volunteer work.
Being out there enjoying Americas trails, is good for the sole.

I always use Cleghorn as my test run location with new rigs or mods. A buddy just picked up a ZJ a month ago (and I just picked up a TJ last week), so we decided to give it a quick run this past weekend. The trail's definitely more washed out and rockier than it was a few years ago. Also way greener this year, meaning lots of pinstriping. Made for some unexpectedly fun wheeling.

The tough part about Cleghorn obstacles isn't the rocks nor the obstacles themselves. Rather, it's the super off-camber stuff that gets people in trouble.

We unintentionally ended up on "the hard trail" at one point (it's a little easier running west/uphill, in my opinion, but we were running east towards 138). Up until a couple years ago, there used to be a skull-and-crossbones sign that warned people that they were about to commit to the tough stuff, but we didn't see it this time, and neither of us could remember which way was which before it was too late to easily turn around. The TJ did fine (barely broke a sweat, if I'm being honest), but we were mostly shocked at how well the bro-modified ZJ did in spite of a suspected power steering pump failure at some point.

Quick clip from this past weekend: Cleghorn Tilt. Fast Forward to about 1:00 to see the tilt angle. This is near the "start" of the tricky stuff, followed by a series of six or seven downhill rocky segments, often with quite a bit of lean (though not as bad as this was) mixed in.

Sorry for thread jack!

• Wow
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I always use Cleghorn as my test run location with new rigs or mods. A buddy just picked up a ZJ a month ago (and I just picked up a TJ last week), so we decided to give it a quick run this past weekend. The trail's definitely more washed out and rockier than it was a few years ago. Also way greener this year, meaning lots of pinstriping. Made for some unexpectedly fun wheeling.

The tough part about Cleghorn obstacles isn't the rocks nor the obstacles themselves. Rather, it's the super off-camber stuff that gets people in trouble.

We unintentionally ended up on "the hard trail" at one point (it's a little easier running west/uphill, in my opinion, but we were running east towards 138). Up until a couple years ago, there used to be a skull-and-crossbones sign that warned people that they were about to commit to the tough stuff, but we didn't see it this time, and neither of us could remember which way was which before it was too late to easily turn around. The TJ did fine (barely broke a sweat, if I'm being honest), but we were mostly shocked at how well the bro-modified ZJ did in spite of a suspected power steering pump failure at some point.

Quick clip from this past weekend: Cleghorn Tilt. Fast Forward to about 1:00 to see the tilt angle. This is near the "start" of the tricky stuff, followed by a series of six or seven downhill rocky segments, often with quite a bit of lean (though not as bad as this was) mixed in.

Sorry for thread jack!
Happy to have you share on the thread, its all about the same trail.
You were pretty sideways in that video! I am glad I didn't end up in an area like that haha.

Thanks and I do believe that it does give back good vibes to everyone that involves themselves in good trail manners.
And it can be anything from picking up some loose trash to putting in a full day of volunteer work.
Being out there enjoying Americas trails, is good for the sole.
It shows us where to be careful and what real etiquette is.

If you are looking for some fun easy ones in the area Silverado up to Santiago Peak is fun. Also Burns Canyon up to Big Bear from the east side is a nice ride. Once in Big Bear the east end of Holcomb Valley Road to Polique Canyon Rd is a easy drive too although it's short. You can also take Pilot Rock Truck Trail from the east end of Cleghorn up into Arrowhead if you go back to Cleghorn. The west end can be thick with green sticker vehicles on that one but once you get away from the Silverwood Lake staging area it calms down a bit. I have some friends with 2wd that I tag along with so I'm always on the lookout for the "not too difficult" trails that are worth the drive.