Clicking Noise

GaryC

Looking for some mechanical wisdom

When I start my motor, there's a clicking Noise which seems to be coming from the top side of the motor (behind the fan and serpentine belt).

My first thought is a sticky lifter. Any suggestions on what to look for? Thanks in advance.

Gary

When I start my motor, there's a clicking Noise which seems to be coming from the top side of the motor (behind the fan and serpentine belt).

My first thought is a sticky lifter. Any suggestions on what to look for? Thanks in advance.

Gary
I just solved a noise problem with a cheap stethoscope. try probing the belt tensioner, and water pump being extremely careful around the rotating elements. A stethoscope will localize and isolate the noise where the human ear cannot. Good luck and be careful.
Pocojo

Reactions: GaryC

Gary
I mentioned before that I thought an automotive stethoscope might help you isolate and identify this noise. I am an extremely safety oriented individual and I know that some people use long screwdrivers and broomsticks against their ears to probe unwanted noises. My problem with this is you are turning your head 90deg. away from the probe area to get the rod or screwdriver into your ear. Anyone who is not looking at the exact point of probe contact around rotating machinery is going to be a good candidate for an unwanted visit to their local emergency room. Please be careful and keep all your body parts in the shape they were delivered to you at your birth. My auto stethoscope cost me $7.00. What are your body parts worth?