Clinking noise in 1st gear

Charlie Walker

I put a 2.5 inch rough country lift on my tj with 33 inch tires, and after I did this I started to notice a clinking/cowbell sound when I come out of 1st gear. I did not notice this before I put the lift kit on. Would anyone know where this noise is coming from and how to fix it?

Check your sway bar links. Try rocking the Jeep while it's parked and see if you can hear it. Also check your exhaust clearance all the way through.

My trans was clanging in 1st. Slightly less in 2-4. When I went to replace my sub woofer I had to pull the center console. The mounting bolt right next to the shifter was loose. After I put it all back together the sounds were gone. Just a dumb loose bolt! I would swear it was the shift rails ready to fall out. Check everything you touched on the install. And check the transfer shifter too.

Check the torque on ALL mounting hardware. Control arms, track bars everything you can think of. Is it a single noise or repeated while taking off? Check your ujoints as well, I’ve had them make some odd noises too. Check that your front springs are seated correctly.