Cloudy soft top window

UPJOHN

TJ Enthusiast
I don't know what got on it after our last snow storm, but it gets worse with every wash with dish soap and micro fiber.
IMG_20180501_090132682.jpg

Try some Meguirs Plastx cleaner. That stuff is great for removing light swirls and cleaning our plastic windows.

Try some Meguirs Plastx cleaner. That stuff is great for removing light swirls and cleaning our plastic windows.

I was looking at Meguirs. Said it's for plastic headlights and plastic convertible windows.
I figured I'd try dish soap one more time with window off and in my bath tub.
It got worse.

I started with the Plastx a few years ago on a used Jeep with a really worn Rampage top. Did wonders for those windows, cleaning it up nicely, and have used it now for years on my LJ. Its worth a shot if you cant clear up the cloudiness.

Most likely a previous owner used paper towels on your windows, those are absolute death for vinyl windows. Maguires and Novus both make multi-step plastic scratch removal products which will help but neither is a quick process.... both require some significant elbow grease. A simple cleaning product like Plexus won't help with anything as bad as your window is.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I bought the top new, a cheap Smitybilt, and the window was clear until our last snow storm. What ever snow melt that was on the roads got on it and soap and water doesn't take it off. My side windows are still clear.
For a cheap top it survived two tough winters.

I started with the Plastx a few years ago on a used Jeep with a really worn Rampage top. Did wonders for those windows, cleaning it up nicely, and have used it now for years on my LJ. Its worth a shot if you cant clear up the cloudiness.

This has worked well for me on several Miata tops and the one YJ that I have owned. Takes a little elbow grease. I would take it out and lay it on a soft towel to protect the other side.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Hit up Amazon and look for the Novus 3 part kit for plastic windows. I had some nasty scratches in mine from bushes and branches and the Novus helped quite a bit. I don't clean mine with anything but the Novus. Regular dish soap is harsh and I wouldn't use it on plastic windows, IMO.

I've used Novus on mine as well but had a small air polisher with a 3" foam head on it that worked really well, sped things up and kept me from running polish outside of the window area (black top and polish/wax don't mix well).

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Bought a TJ yesterday and was concerned I may have to replace the top, due to the cloudiness of the rear window. It was bad. Found this thread and picked up some Plastix on my day off today. Now to be fair, I haven't even cleaned the windows yet, but I think I just saved the top. Very happy with the results! Thanks for the suggestions!!!

I've only done the driver's half, inside and outside.....

20190103_163817.jpg

20190103_163823.jpg

I don't know if you can or you can't. I can only offer that I did it by hand. Sections at a time about the size of the owner's manual.

I don't know if you can or you can't. I can only offer that I did it by hand. Sections at a time about the size of the owner's manual.
well I will let you know...I did most of my windows with a buffer and used chemical guys V line of compounds and they came out better than before...there are a couple windows I did not touch so I want to try the plastx.

Hey all, I am new to the forum as I finally got my first jeep a few weeks ago! It came with a soft top where the rear windows were very damaged. You cannot see through them at all! The guy I bought them from thinks it’s from sitting outside... but this thread makes me think he may have cleaned them improperly.

I can’t imagine that everyone with a soft top parks in a garage (I don’t). So before I get a new soft top or replacement windows (trust me, they are beyond repair), do any of you park outside?

thanks!

EC875E29-060C-4C79-8042-E620129D1C9F.jpeg